My account has been disabled?

one of my costumers is used a vbulletin. and i violation occurs… i didn’t know this before dreamhost says. i have nearly 100 costumers at this account. i dont ever know this… now, they closed all of my accounts… only this costumers’ user previliges and domain will be closed permanently but what is my fault? what can i do now? i dont know that he was using this kind of material… i am a dreamhost usersince 2 years. and i didn’t do any violation… all of my websites are down now…

please help me…

Dreamhost holds all its account holders accountable for any of the sites hosted under their accounts. This means that we can’t attribute ToS violations as being the fault of our mother’s brother’s cousin’s hairdresser’s best friend from high school’s ineptness.

I imagine you’re personally innocent in this matter, but it’s an easy excuse for those less ethical than you are, so you’re stuck with the rule.

You can always plead to support, but I don’t want to give you false hope.

BTW, we’re just customers here. You should direct all communications directly with Dreamhost through your web panel.

Best of luck.

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off
More Dreamhost coupons here!

What is wrong of running vBulletin in DH? I did not know this either. Where did you see the rules and regulations? I should see them carefully now.

We are customers here. You will have to submit a ticket and explain to DH support. It is a big trouble especially when you have 100 customers.

Good luck!

$50 off and 3 free domains with code: [color=#CC0000]DH3[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

Nothing… but you’re responsible for the content that gets posted to it.

You shouldn’t install anything that allows users to contribute content unless you’re going to moderate it and make sure it stays within the TOS.

If saying “someone else did it” was an acceptable excuse, then everyone could just create a different user name for breaking the TOS and never have to worry about their account getting terminated.

:stuck_out_tongue: Maximum savings promo code: MaxSavingsAtDH

Honestly this is troubling, did you at least get a warning or a notice to remove offending content?

This sounds like GoDaddy, Bluehost, etc. draconian tactics if this is in fact true. Yes as the owner of the account we are responsible for the content. BUT at the same time Dreamhost is responsible for notifying the account holder of any offending material. This is just plan proper business ethics, that is the major reason why I don’t use the likes of GoDaddy and Bluehost. Shutting down and account without proper notice and/or option to resolve the offending mater is just plain unethical.

“The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.”
– Friedrich Nietzsche

I’m not troubled, nor am I waiting with bated breath for details of the offense to be made public.

BTW, have you noticed that all major boards have moderators who are responsible for… uhh… moderating all posted content to make sure it follows the terms of service of the board itself? These ToS always include restrictions to make sure that posted content is legal.

I’m sure if you take reasonable measures to ensure the legality of your content you’re fine, and I’m sure you’re also fine if you actually provide a means of directly contacting you as the webmaster for content issues. I don’t think it’s prudent to depend on being contacted by Dreamhost when they get a legal directive to shut down your site, but by the same token I’d be surprised if Dreamhost was actually reasonable. OTOH, it would not surprise me at all if there are a lot of webmasters who think it’s reasonable to host sites that are indifferent to copyright and are shocked that they’d get shut down and profess innocence.

Apologies for the cynicism.

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off

Yes there is a responsibility to take “reasonable” measures. Reality is “$iit” happens and things do slip by. If they didn’t security wouldn’t be a problem would it?

Still comes down to reasonable actions, like notification that you have content that is in violation. A “Reasonable” action would be notification and notice to remove within xx amount of time. Then if it becomes a regular occurrence is when your account would be in review for closure.

“The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.”
– Friedrich Nietzsche

Do I need to spell it out?

I don’t think they close accounts rashly. Neither do they spell out a fixed policy that could be gamed or restrict their ability to use their judgment in immediately shutting down sites that egregiously violate their ToS.

Here’s an post from about a year ago that I think outlines reasonable policies:

[quote]Hosting copyrighted materials. Does DreamHost check your account regularly? Look through your files?

No, DreamHost will not be respecting your privacy that way although they have the right to do that. Rather, DreamHost runs a script which checks and identify possible copyrighted material. Thereafter, a email reminding you of the Terms of Service will be sent to you if it identifies copyrighted material in your account.[/quote]
Also, here’s a quote from abuse.dreamhost.com:

[quote]"I didn’t upload this - one of my site’s visitors did."
You are, ultimately, responsible for any content associated with your account. We will take into consideration the fact that it’s not always possible to prevent 3rd parties from uploading such material (particularly in message forums, wikis, etc), though it is expected that the operators of such sites will create and enforce policies to act quickly when such matters are reported, prevent ongoing abuse, etc.[/quote]

The guy has already used the “it’s a customer” excuse. In this case he was using a pirated copy of the software and the software maker complained. His account has also been used for spamming the wiki.

Then that’s reasonable, as long as they give the site owner a chance to rectify the problem.

Of course when someone comes whining on the forums you always have to take it like a grain of salt.

But in today’s environment especially on the political front, things that made common sense 10 years ago you now have to question. :wink: Over reaction seems to have replaced common sense these days.

– Friedrich Nietzsche

I disagree. If you’re clearly using software that you’re not licensed for and get caught, I don’t necessarily think you’re allowed a second chance.

If someone steals your car and then says, “Oh, sorry, I didn’t think you’d mind my driving your car out of your garage and over to my house. I promise not to do it again.” Is that ok? Sure, I think it’s pretty generous of you, but I think it’s ok if that person is arrested for auto theft, too.

OK you own a restaurant someone comes in and has drugs in his pocket, you go to jail because they happened to stop by and get a burger?

So with those rules Dreamhost then should get shut down because the RIAA finds someone has pirated media on their servers.

Same rules and logic …

– Friedrich Nietzsche

The guy has already used the “it’s a customer” excuse. In this case he was using a pirated copy of the software and the software maker complained. His account has also been used for spamming the wiki.

That’s what I figured, didn’t think Dreamhost was that Draconian. But again, in today’s world you gotta ask :wink:

– Friedrich Nietzsche

The analogy that’s probably closer is if a drug dealer is doing business in your restaurant.

As I’ve said before, I don’t like some of our current laws, but I want people to be as aware of them as possible - in part to stay safe (if that’s what they want), in part so that they can be aware that they’re passively resisting (if that’s what they want), and in part so that they can lobby for change (if that’s what they want).

The more people that are aware of the craziness (my opinion) of some of the current laws, the better.