My 2c worth

I have to relate my experience of DreamHost to date…

Less than 24 hours ago, my site was hosted by another server. I was spending literally weeks trying to administer aspects of my site and compensate for server shortcomings rather than spending that time developing and launching my business as expected. Yesterday I became sufficiently frustrated to seek alternatives, so acting on a friends advice, I came here and spent several hours perusing the site, these forums and the wiki. I liked what I saw, so I signed up.

My previous server let my email go 1st: in less than an hour I had it back up, but on the DH servers. It took a little longer for the FTP and the site itself to shift across (as you can expect when making a DNS change) but all was in place this morning when I awoke.

Since then I have uploaded 3 machines onto my website: Mambo 4.6, SMF 1.1RC3 and Gallery 2.2 All of these machines installed absolutely flawlessly on the DH servers and are all running (also flawlessly!!! and without any hacks necessary!!!) as I type this -that alone is something my previous server NEVER achieved!

All that remains for me now is to configure and populate the machines, then I can get on with getting on!

DH thanks. You have given me in less than 24 hours, without any support intervention necessary, far more than my previous server was able to give me in over 3 months.

If you are thinking of making a change, my advice (obviously) is Go For It!!! The sooner the better.

Now, if only I can get these machines to bridge properly…

:slight_smile:

make old.domaine.com for your old hosting :wink:

For new users : don’t forget to first setup domain, hosting & emails before changing dns server,
to move from your old hosting without any downtime.

Get [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] Off with promo code :[color=#6600CC]97USD[/color] :cool: use “moua” as referrer

[quote]For new users : don’t forget to first setup domain,
hosting & emails before changing dns server,
to move from your old hosting without any downtime.

[/quote]

That is what I want to do.

Until I point my domain’s registrar at ns*.dreamhost.com,
how can I look at the web pages I’ve moved to dreamhost?

[quote]Get $97 Off with promo code :97USD use “moua” as referrer

[/quote]

Unfortunately, I didn’t notice that people in these fora
post their referer codes. As anyone had experience
getting a discount after paying but before the 97
day money-back deadline?

[quote]Until I point my domain’s registrar at ns*.dreamhost.com,
how can I look at the web pages I’ve moved to dreamhost?[/quote]
What you need to do is add another domain under “Manage Domains” in the panel called xxxxx.dreamhosters.com (“xxxxx” can be anything you like as long as it is not already created), enter this new domain in the “Domain that mirrors:” box.

Then select in the drop down list the “Domain to Mirror:”

Once you have done this you should be able to check the domain you are setting up using the mirrored address which is in this case xxxxx.dreamhosters.com

Web Hosting Reviews | Shonky’s Blog | Hot Product Directory

Thanks, but that isn’t working. I’ve
tried it twice now in the past several hours.

Following up; of course it worked eventually.
I was behind vpn and the dns service I was using
was apparently slow on to pickup the new host.

Thx.