MX records not propagating

I’ve attempted to contact support about this issue, but I figured I’d post it here because there seem to be a lot of people here who know what they’re doing.

Here’s the situation:

I’m attempting to edit the records for one of my domains (halbergdefense.com) to point to an external mail server.

Last wednesday, I added two new MX records:

mail MX 10 exchange.halbergdefense.com.
mail MX 20 2mx.integraonline.com.

And one A record:

exchange A 72.11.106.95

On Friday, I removed the Dreamhost mail service from the domain, which kills the automatically set 0 MX records that point to Dreamhost. I then edited the two MX records above to the following:

mail MX 0 exchange.halbergdefense.com.
mail MX 20 2mx.integraonline.com.

The external server is set up and functioning properly, but any time any mail is sent to the domain, a 554 relay error is returned. This happens regardless of where the mail is coming from.

A quick MX record lookup on dnsstuff.com returns the following for the domain:

[i]How I am searching:
Searching for halbergdefense.com MX record at j.root-servers.net [192.58.128.30]: Got referral to B.GTLD-SERVERS.NET. [took 96 ms]
Searching for halbergdefense.com MX record at B.GTLD-SERVERS.NET. [192.33.14.30]: Got referral to ns1.dreamhost.com. [took 252 ms]
Searching for halbergdefense.com MX record at ns1.dreamhost.com. [66.33.206.206]: Reports that no MX records exist. [took 100 ms]

Answer:
No MX records exist for halbergdefense.com. [Neg TTL=3600 seconds]

Details:
ns1.dreamhost.com. (an authoritative nameserver for halbergdefense.com.) says that there are no MX records for halbergdefense.com.
The E-mail address in charge of the halbergdefense.com. zone is: hostmaster@dreamhost.com.[/i]

Yesterday, I spoke with someone on this topic and they informed me that the records were to be re-binded at around Noon, CST. That has not fixed the issue. Internally (ns1, ns2, and ns3), the records look correct. Externally, the MX record for some reason is NOT getting propagated correctly.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do about this?

Decided to move the domain to another host, but it wouldn’t surprise me if others end up having the same problems.

[quote]I then edited the two MX records above to the following:

mail MX 0 exchange.halbergdefense.com.
mail MX 20 2mx.integraonline.com.[/quote]
It did what you told it to, not what you wanted it to do. What you wanted to do was to add the two MX records at the zone’s apex, thus defining MX records for halbergdefense.com; instead, you added two MX records for mail.halbergdefense.com.

jazz:$ dig mx halbergdefense.com @ns1.dreamhost.com +sh
jazz:$ dig mx mail.halbergdefense.com @ns1.dreamhost.com +sh
20 2mx.integraonline.com.
0 exchange.halbergdefense.com.