Multisite Not Completing Site Install

wordpress

Site is http://gamexbar.com. Upgraded to VPS for wildcard DNS. Installed WP, enabled Multisite to use subdomains. Made changes to wp-config.php and .htaccess…

define('MULTISITE', true); define('SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL', true); define('DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', 'gamexbar.com'); define('PATH_CURRENT_SITE', '/'); define('SITE_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1); define('BLOG_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1);

[code]RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index.php$ - [L]

add a trailing slash to /wp-admin

RewriteRule ^wp-admin$ wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
RewriteRule ^ - [L]
RewriteRule ^(wp-(content|admin|includes).) $1 [L]
RewriteRule ^(.
.php)$ $1 [L]
RewriteRule . index.php [L][/code]

Attempts creating a new site, WP show new site in panel and sends email that site has been created… but nothing has been written to subdomain (404). Search & read through the forum here, read WordPress Multisite 101… and still stumped. Frustrated, and hoping to have another pair of eyes take a look… I must be missing something.

Any help would be appreciated.

Just as a heads up, this has been resolved… thanks DH. WP was working right all along, it was me not configuring new sites correctly.

I was trying to use existing subdomains (originally setup years ago through the DH admin panel, with static pages added through FTP), Multisite doesn’t need them and cannot overwrite them. At DH Web Panel>Manage Domains, remove/delete the subdomain, wait about 15 minutes, then in FTP delete the subdomain directory.

Then you can go into your WP network dashboard, click Sites/Add New Site… and create the new site using the subdomain you originally wanted.

Worked for me. Again, thanks DH.

Oh yes, this is true :slight_smile: ‘Real’ Subdomains (like real files and folders) always trump WP’s virtual ones.