Multisite, Domain Mapping, and SSL

wordpress

Has anyone gotten SSL working with a domain-mapped site in multisite? I’m getting the SSL Cert, but the domain fails to load with:

[code]Site Temporarily Unavailable

We apologize for the inconvenience. Please contact the webmaster/ tech support immediately to have them rectify this.
error id: “bad_httpd_conf”[/code]

I need per-site SSL because I want to install WooCommerce on each.

My setup is:

1. Multisite installed at domain1.com
  2. domain2.domain1.com mapped via Domain Mapping plugin to domain2.com
  3. domain2.com DNS configured to “mirror” domain1.com (required as per Dreamhost tech support)
  4. SSL cert on domain2.com

SSL cert is delivered to client, but server fails to load page.

I do. works fine. been working for ages.

sometimes it takes a while for a new cert to load…I usually sleep on it and then dinker with it the next day

I’m not sure but you might want to check the tip below. I just hope that this is what you’re looking for.

HTTPS doesn’t work well with mirrored sites.

Why? Because mirroring the site tells our servers “hey, I want the exact same site set up on both of these domains”, and that’ll make the same SSL certificate be used for both of them. Unless you’ve got some kind of crazy wildcard or multi-domain certificate, your certificate will only be valid for the main domain, not its mirrors.

If you need multiple SSL sites to run from the same set of files, create a separate fully hosted domain for each one, and set them all to use the same directory. It’s kind of a hassle, but it’s the only way we’ve currently got to have them use different certificates… sorry.

Is that the only alternative?

Pretty much, and it’s not just a DreamHost thing. It’s the same concept for every host and has to do with how SSL works. Like if you’re on a cpanel host, you have to use add-on domains and treat them like their own, separate, domain, pointing to the same install directory.