Multisite - child themes

wordpress

Thanks for the all the help!

I am not getting into stuff I REALLY don’t know.

I am following the instructions to make a child theme I can use with each sub-site.

So far the only customizations I have done to my sub-sites has been the header image and background image, easily put back if I lose them.

QUESTIONS

Now that I have the instructions for making a child theme, which start with “make a properly formatted style sheet and put it in a sub-directory in your FTP”. They say to use this code pasted below.

My questions are:

1. My theme is Bouquet, do I simply replace “Twenty Eleven” with “Bouquet” and leave the rest as is? Actually, I expect to name my children “Bouquet Malt Child”, “Bouquet Guitar Child”, but the question is, can I just replace their theme name with my own and this import function should work?

2. Also, I do not know code. Do I really include the bits that say, “/This will override…/” or is that there as information for the person following the instructions?

3. Or can I simply copy and paste the contents of my Bouquet folder in FTP into its sub-folder created for the child theme?

/*
Theme Name: Twenty Eleven Child
Description: Child theme for the Twenty Eleven theme
Author: Your name here
Template: twentyeleven
*/

@import url("…/twentyeleven/style.css");

/* This will override site title color even on the dark theme */
#site-title a {
color: #009900 !important;
}

/* This will override the changed link color */
#site-title a:focus,
#site-title a:hover,
#site-title a:active {
}

Making a Child Theme in Multisite WP is 100% the same as single site :slight_smile:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes has the details, but what you need is this: A folder with a style.css file formatted correctly.

Option #3 is what you want.

Make a folder: /wp-content/themes/bouquet-2011

In that folder, put your code in style.css

Done :slight_smile:

Sorry. I want to make sure I understand what you said.

The link you provided is where I got that code from. But it sounds like you are implying I do not need to do this export code step.

When I create my theme folder there is nothing in it.

So I should copy and paste the entire contents of the themes/bouquet folder and paste it into the themes/bouquet-malt folder?

And paste it in the /themes/bouquet-guitar folder? And for any other site I make in the future?

And for my own edification, as for those custom headers on each page, where does that code live, if there is only one header.php per theme? How would that be accomplished without a program like Yost SEO?

Thanks!
[hr]

Hooray. OK. I made a theme folder. I copied the entire contents of theme/Bouquet to my C drive on my PC, then I copied it back in to theme/Bouquet-malt.

I then edited the style.css in notepad so the name of theme said Bouquet-malt, and the description was changed as well to reflect it was a child theme.

But that child theme is not appearing anywhere in my dashboard, so I cannot choose it as the theme to my sub-site. I then realized I was just moving to fast. About ten minutes later it did appear!

So now, after re customizing my header and background and menu, I shall repeat the process for the other two sites.

Thanks again!

[quote=“tspnyc, post:3, topic:59799”]
Sorry. I want to make sure I understand what you said.

The link you provided is where I got that code from. But it sounds like you are implying I do not need to do this export code step.

When I create my theme folder there is nothing in it.

So I should copy and paste the entire contents of the themes/bouquet folder and paste it into the themes/bouquet-malt folder?

And paste it in the /themes/bouquet-guitar folder? And for any other site I make in the future?

And for my own edification, as for those custom headers on each page, where does that code live, if there is only one header.php per theme? How would that be accomplished without a program like Yost SEO?

Thanks!
[hr]

Sigh. Never mind, back to Hooray. It DID work. I now have three children themes.

I just have to get used to the fact things do not always show up right away.

I did this by …

I made a theme folder. I copied the entire contents of theme/Bouquet to my C drive on my PC, then I copied it back in to theme/Bouquet-guitar. And did the same for Bouquet-onemansworld, and Bouquet-malt.

I then edited the style.css in notepad the same way to change the theme name anbd description.

I copied that into the theme folder.

My other two child themes do not appear in my Dashboard of my Admin, so I cannot activate them.

I logged out and I left it sit for two hours.

I logged back in and the other two child themes are not available. I see nothing different about their folders in the Themes directory compared to the one child theme that worked.

Please advise.

Thanks

No. You just make a new folder and you’ll create a new style.css with this content:

/*
Theme Name: Twenty Eleven Child
Description: Child theme for the Twenty Eleven theme
Author: Your name here
Template: twentyeleven
*/

@import url("../twentyeleven/style.css");

/* This will override site title color even on the dark theme */
#site-title a {
}

/* This will override the changed link color */