Multiple users, one domain - how?

Say I’ve got domain.com and I want both user1 and user2 to have access to the entire site. I used to assign two users to the same site, but DH no longer allows that.

Now I’m again in the situation where I need to create two logins for the same site. I figured since the old way no longer works (and it was tricky before, I agree) I’d just use WebDAV. Well, I went to set that up and I can’t apply it to an entire domain. Also not going to work.

SMB is disabled, but that didn’t really matter because my cable modem blocks SMB.

So how can I do it? I read https://panel.dreamhost.com/kbase/?area=2951 but that doesn’t help me at all because I’m not going to give out my uber login and remembering all the other ones isn’t really an option (I’m often on other machines, traveling…)

So how can I do it?

thanks.

This is the question of the century, as near as I can tell. If DH solves it with the ease of it’s panel, etc. they will achieve World Domination. I’m leaning toward the belief – with NO evidence whatsoever :slight_smile: that this situation is more and more the norm. In the old days, you had individual users and their home page; you had commercial entities and their own servers. Today, EVERY organization has a web site and the need to distribute support is increasing. “Get a dedicated server” does NOT answer the need as my non-profit would simply move elsewhere due to the cost. My need for help as admin doesn’t enter the equation :frowning: and I doubt it does for many non-profits or small orgs.

I would imagine the only other option is to install a CGI application or the like that acts as a file manager, because the file system just does not support “concurrent owners” and so at the application level you would have to pretend you have concurrent owners but actually only have one.

For example, you could have a WebDAV “incoming” directory and have the users upload gzip files and then have a CGI script pull the gzip file using HTTP from the WebDAV and automatically uncompress the gzip to the right spot, etc. The CGI script would run only as one user which would own all the files on the domain (except for the ones in WebDAV folder which would be owned by the web server). Thats just a crazy idea of mine though.

If I were you’d just give each user their own FTP account and tell them to upload files to a world-readable or group-readable directory then have a third user (password-protected CGI script) copy files from that directory to its own directory where the domain is actually served from.

PS. You don’t have to give out your uber-login. Lets say your uber-login is ‘superman’. What you do is create another user called ‘clark’, and then have the domain served from the ‘clark’ home directory instead of the ‘superman’ home directory, and then tell your people to both login to FTP as ‘clark’ - and if you need the password for ‘clark’ you can always have it e-mailed to you using the web panel.

:cool: Perl / MySQL / HTML CSS

Maybe this is too obvious, but why not just create a third user for the two to share? Maybe not ideal, but it should do the trick.

I’ll second that belief. I’ve wrangled with getting a co-developer full access (ssh/samba/ftp) to a site we maintain. After experimenting with different unix groups configurations, we went Will’s route and share a user account. Its been working so far (although with samba down, we’re adjusting to ftp access). While it works, it seems like there might be a better solution that could be implemented that doesn’t require account sharing.

Jeff

I guess I’m not seeing how a third user would help. Say I’ve got twelve sites. I want eight of these sites to each only be accessible to one user and myself. Four sites I want only my account to access. If I create a third user who can only access the other eight sites and share that user, then each person who has access to one of those sites also has access to the others.

If I give all those eight sites their own user, then I have nine sets of logins and passwords to remember (along with all the other ones I don’t have any other option but to remember.)

Maybe it’s not similar, but in OS X Server I can do all sorts of users and groups like this.