Multiple Subdomains on a Single Let's Encrypt Cert

I run a domain with ≈45 subdomains for simple sites/projects/apps. I want to enforce HTTPS for all of them, but Dreamhost runs into Let’s Encrypt’s weekly rate limit of 20 certs. This has already prevented me from launching an app at the time I was hoping, and will continue to cause issues.

It would greatly help if Dreamhost batched all the subdomains into a single certificate (along with the main domain, if possible).

Let’s Encrypt supports up to 100 subdomains per certificate, and all the subdomains in question could easily fit in one of those in the foreseeable future. In addition, Let’s Encrypt launched wildcard certificate support a few months ago – that would work just as well in this case.

I don’t know how long I can work around the rate limit issues, but batched subdomain certs are probably the only way I can keep hosting on Dreamhost in the long term.

P.S. I’m aware that Dreamhost could renew the 45 certs on a rolling basis across multiple weeks. But this is fragile and can leave subdomains without certs, especially if I create a new subdomain during the “wrong” window. It also doesn’t play well with Let’s Encrypt certs for CNAME subdomains hosted on other servers, and there are ≈5 of these.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.