Multiple sites per plan?

Hi, I recently became aware of Dreamhost and I’m thinking of trying it out. I’m intrigued by the feature of multiple domains per account (3 domains on Sweet Dreams plan, etc.)

Does Dreamhost allow these additional domains to be separate web sites? Seems like it’s set up that way; I just wanted to make sure …

yup.

in fact, as far as sites that are mirrors or redirects, you can have as many as you want. the number of included domains / subdomains reflects fully hosted domains.

I’m not sure I understand. I have 3 seperate web sites all hosted by Yahoo. If if change to DreamHost do subsribe to “sweet dreams” and have an account for each of my three seperate web sites? Or do I have three seperate subsriptions like L1?

Thanks, Frank

Chances are (almost certainly, in fact) you’ll only need one plan at Dreamhost.

Take the Sweet Dreams plan, for example. That gives you 3 domains, 5 sub domains, 10GB/mo transfer, and 400MB storage space.

Assuming that each of your three sites has its own domain name, that means that you can host all three without adding anything to the Sweet Dreams plan (hence the 3 domains). Each of those domains can be connected to an entirely different directory of files, making it a website completely independant from the other two–unless you tell someone, they can’t even tell there’s a relationship between the three.

With the available resources, the three sites could average about 100MB of storage each, 3GB/month of data transfer, and even have 5 sub domains each (a sub domain is “something.yourdomain.com”). In fact, each of those subdomains can be an independant site in and of itself–I have several on my plan, for example.

The Sweet Dreams plan resources are more than enough for three average-traffic sites (in the tens of thousands of visitors a month, if you don’t have a bunch of pictures or multimedia), and if your sites are small you could even do the Crazy Domain Insane, and just add a 3-domain booster pack, which is a savings of $5 a month. (Personally, I’d buy up rather than down since Dreamhost locks in your pricing, though.)

If you want examples, the following sites, as well as others, are all hosted on a single Code Warrior Plan:

http://animeworld.com
http://forum.animeworld.com
http://greatamericancookbook.com
http://marshallgallery.com

Combined traffic is in the 100,000 visitor per month range and within even the Sweet Dreams resources, for reference.

This was almost my question also. I am a web designer, and I want to offer my clients domain registration and web hosting when I design their site, is this possible with DreamHost? Like a reseller plan.

Customers like it when you take care of everything for them. They don’t want to deal with all the complexities of the website if they are boat builders - they want to deal with the complexities of building boats. When you simplify life for them, it makes you more valuable to them.

Yes, there is a plan that gives you a commission for referring someone to Dreamhost, but the best way for a web designer to go, though, is to have all the customers in one plan. You don’t have to keep a list of usernames and passwords, don’t have to keep logging out of one account and into another.

If you have a number of small users on individual plans, they will have disk space and bandwidth going to waste. If you consolidate them all on one plan, the disk space and bandwidth is pooled, so that what one customer doesn’t need, you can use for another customer.

Having all those subdomains is convenient on the plans, because they have all the features of a regular site. You can work on acme.mydomain.com until the site is ready to go “live”, and then register acme.com. You don’t have to create new directories and move files. You can even have both names pointing to the same website.

Later on, you redesign a second generation site as acme2.mydomain.com. Once they decide the new site is ready for prime time, you simply point acme to the new directory.

And since everything is all under one username, your CGIs for acme2.mydomain.com can look at the data files for acme.com or acme.mydomain.com - you don’t have to create dummy data files to test your software with.

just to double-check… all three domains can use email etc with the domains? ie user1@domain1.com, user2@domain2.com, and user3@domain3.com?

And I can set up ftp access so I can give users access to the files of just one domain, even though it is hosted under the same plan as ones that I don’t want them to have access to?

Thanks

Yup you sure can, and the ftp locations for the domains can be kept separate or grouped together under the same user if you wish. Basically whenever we talk about “extra domains”, they’re full in every single respect! The only combined aspect is the total disk, bandwidth, and database usages for the plan are summed up from all the various domains on that plan.

josh!

I, too, am considering DH after hosting with my current ISP for almost 7 years now… To clarify, I’m considering the “Crazy Domain Insane” plan – if I have DH register ‘mysite.com’, then that means I could create:

larry.mysite.com
moe.mysite.com
curly.mysite.com
shemp.mysite.com
curlyjoe.mysite.com

and still be within the confines of my plan? How would these sites appear to me when I FTP to upload their files?

that’s correct.

you can setup the directory structure however you want; generally, most people set it up like:

/home/username/mysite.com
/home/username/larry.mysite.com
/home/username/moe.mysite.com
[…]

you could set it up differently if you wanted.

hope this helps.

I’m curious, if you sign up for the sweet dreams plan then after a few months realize that you need the code warrior plan, how easy is it to switch and what is the cost implication?
Thanks,
Zhiizhii

it’s very easy to switch plans from the web panel.

as far as cost, you get a prorated refund for time left on your original service, and the new service is billed at its normal rate, beginning when the new service is started.

I have customers that would apprecaite access to the web control panel so they could manage the site as well. Is there only one admin account for all domains or can users be added and given admin access for individual domains? I have a case where I would need to access all domains. I also need to be able to provide access to multiple people to manage only one domain under the “master account” as well allow one individual to manage two other separate domains. This gets confussing the example below may help.

Master Account owner access to all domains (1,2,3,4,5,6,7)
(DreamHost CodeWarrior customer)

customer1/user1 access domain2
customer1/user2 access domain2

customer2/user1 access domain3 &4

Does each domain get 35 shell accounts and 140 email account or are these shared accross all 7 domains?

Is the 900MB of disk space shared across all domains or can each domain be given a restricted amount. The control would be good to avoid one site having the ability to take down the other six sites.

In terms of access, do you mean for ftp uploading to the site, or things via the web panel?

Our web panel allows the setting up of email address, auto-responders, and things like that. You can fully specify the sort of access you want to give people on that… allowing one user to manage two domains, another one to register one of those two as well, etc…

In terms of uploading via ftp, you’d have to put the two users in the same group, and then make the web directory for your domain group-writable and probably add a symbolic link between the users accounts as well.

For the 35 shell and 140 email, that’s across all 7 domains.

Same with the 900MB, but you can restrict how much any one user is allowed to use. If you don’t restrict it, it’ll cap each individual user at 900MB, but if the sum of all the actual usages goes above 900MB you’ll need to upgrade or pay 10c a MB average usage above 900MB.

josh!

Thank you that answers the questions. I was more interested in the level control and access that can be given out to the other user shell account for use of the web control panel.

Is there a demo control panel? The screen shots help but a demo to be able to see the flexibility and get a better feel for your explaination and other questions on how the service works would be very helpful.

[quote]In terms of uploading via ftp, you’d have to put the two users in the same
group, and then make the web directory for your domain group-writable and
probably add a symbolic link between the users accounts as well.

[/quote]

Symbolic links generally won’t work between user accounts (via FTP) since FTP logins are chrooted at ~/ (/home/username). If you want to do this type of thing, you have to nestle the home directories inside each other (a little messy, but it will work).

More on the original question in another post…

[quote]Thank you that answers the questions. I was more interested in the level
control and access that can be given out to the other user shell account > for use of the web control panel.

[/quote]

Well it has nothing to do with the shell accounts - web panel access is granted to what we call “web ids”. Anyone can create a web id, and you have fairly fine grained control over what permissions you give to a particular web id.

[quote]Is there a demo control panel? The screen shots help but a demo to be
able to see the flexibility and get a better feel for your explaination and
other questions on how the service works would be very helpful.

[/quote]

Yes - there actually is (although at the moment it’s not listed anywhere). I would really like to have a working demo that was linked from the main site. In any event, if you contact sales at dreamhost dot com, or make a request on the sales form, someone can let you know the login and password for the demo panel.

[quote]web panel access is granted to what we call “web ids”.

[/quote]

“NDN ID”, Will. NDN ID. :>

[quote]In any event, if you contact sales at dreamhost dot com,
or make a request on the sales form, someone can let you
know the login and password for the demo panel.

[/quote]

Actually, we don’t have a demo panel at the moment. As there is now there’s no way we can actively prevent people from doing things that will mess up the demo account for other people, so until then we’re not providing a demo account option.

I know this isn’t as useful for those who want to see the panel in action, but we do have a page with information on some of the panel’s more interesting features:

http://www.dreamhost.com/panel.html

Plus, we also offer a 30 day money back guarantee, in case for some reason you don’t like what you see in our web panel offering…

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin