Multiple sites or Multiple domains *confused*

Hi all,
I’m totally confused with ‘hosting multiple domains’ and ‘hosting multiple sites’.
I’m looking for a host that provides multiple sites hosting with full fledge domains such as,
www.mydomain.com, www.mydomain1.com, www.mydomain2.com.
These all should have been different sites with different domains. Many hosts allows sub domains such as www.mydomain.com and www.mydomain.subdomain.com. I want sites with unique different domains.

While checking DreamsHost’s plans, I came across ‘unlimited multiple domains hosting’. What does it means?
Is this means hosting multiple sites? Please explain it.

At DreamHost, you can host an ‘unlimited’ number of full domains, each domain will have it’s own web-directory, mailboxes etc. and each doman is completely independent of any other domains you have hosted.

Also, under the DreamHost system, sub-domains are also treated just like full domains with their own web-directories, unlike a system like cpanel, where sub-domains are handled as sub-directories under a full domain.

I hope the above has answered your questions.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

Dear Mark!
Thanks a lot for your kind and timely reply. Please explain me another thing.
I’ve registered my domains with other sites such as 1and1.com, can I point these domains to site directories that I create here at DreamHost.com

I think most of the web server providers has redirect function. So I guess you can do it but you have to do it in your previous web server.

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color].

Yes, this is not a problem.

You simply need to configure the name servers for your domains, using whatever configuration utility your registrar provides, to the following…

ns1.dreamhost.com
ns2.dreamhost.com
ns3.dreamhost.com

Once you have done this, you can add the domain to the DreamHost system via the admin panel and a web-directory will be created for that domain, which you can upload your site files to.

Note: After making the DNS changes it will take up to 72 hours for the new DNS information to propagate across the Internet and your domains to be reachable.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

I recommend you do not use a redirect even if it is available at 1and1, changing the name servers is the better method.

Mark

sorry. I just wanted to change the word “redirect”. What I mean is the same --> change the dns.

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color].

Thanks a lot Nathan and Mark for giving me these quick replies.
I’ve got your answers and also digested them.
One thing that I would like to ask is…
You both are promoting DreamHost and offering your Promotion Codes, if I go for a level one plane L1 for one year with maximum discount i-e; 97$ how much I would have to pay? Or what I’ve to pay for two years?

If you were to use Nathan’s promo-code, which offers a $97 discount, then you’d pay $22.40 for 1 year of the level 1 plan.

The normal price for the 2 year level 1 plan is $190.80, so with a $97 discount you would pay $93.80.

Note: The promo-code discounts are only valid for your first purchase, when it comes time to renew you have to pay the full plan price if you wish to stay, so I recommend that you go with the 2 year plan, if you can afford it, as this spreads the discount over a longer period.

Mark

Thanks for you kind posts. Now my doubts are cleared and I can buy DH L1 plan. :slight_smile:

You are welcome. :slight_smile:

Good luck and be sure to come back to the forums if you run into any problems, there is always someone here willing to lend a helping hand.

Mark

welcome to DH!

FYI, wiki is very helpful. If you have questions, you can find some solutions there wiki.dreamhost.com

You can also post your questions or solutions here. I believe we can learn more by sharing our knowledge. I’ve learnt a lot in this forum.

If the 9999 (company) code is working, you can get a year for less than $20.

----------
[color=#00CC00]ANONYMOUS0 => Max Discount[/color], [color=#6600CC]ANONYMOUS2 => Max Discount less $1[/color] or Cut the code, [color=#CC0000]it’s their birthday:[/color] [color=#00CC00]9999 => $99.99 Off[/color]