Multiple domains?

I’m still quite a newb at Web management. so I figured I could ask my question here.

I have my own domain (elsewhere) and webspace (here - that new Crazy Domain account option). My parents would like to store some personal or low-key business stuff on the Web and I offered to keep it on my webspace. However, they don’t want it connected to a domain that so prominently mentions the family name. If they get a domain name of their choice, can that be directed toward a subdirectory of my choice, on my webspace here at DH?

“You can have up to 3 domains hosted under your Crazy account (for no extra charge), so sure, although I think the subdirectory will need to be named the domain name.”

Great! But can those other domains (and their related directories) be controlled by other people, without granting them access to existing directories?

And finally, do I still maintain control of all content?

In one plan, you can have 3 domains, and you are in total control of everything that your plan contains. So this way you could host your folks business stuff on their own domain name and store the files in your plan. Their domain, your existing plan. Only cost is the extra domain.

Then, you can also create a WebID for your folks and then grant that WebID full access to everything related to THEIR domain on YOUR plan - and still keep YOUR domain safe from them.

I did this too: g-b.dk is my domain in a Crazy Domain plan; and now erebaltor.dk is another domain hosted under the same plan and maintained through a separate WebID. it works fine that way, and kudos to Dreamhost for the ability to have two WebID’s access (different parts of) the same plan.

TorbenGB

Mojo,
don’t listen to these dudes. Hosting/Buying another domain does not protect these documents.

All you have to do is create a password protected directory using the Goodies>HTAccess on your DH control panel.

https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tree=goodies.htaccess

The result gives you (and your papy) a better, more secure way of keeping important files online.

Dennis

[quote]My parents would like to store some personal or low-key business stuff on the Web and I offered to keep it on my webspace. However, they don’t want it connected to a domain that so prominently mentions the family name.

[/quote]

Sorry if I take it wrong, but I wouldn’t store anything of personal importance on-line. Password protection is simply not good enough. On the other hand, if they are of critical, business confidentiality, I won’t even use a remote machine, not to say shared hosting. Just my two cents.

[color=#CC0000]name[/color]slave
Domain Registration, Web Hosting & Search Engine Optimization

“Then, you can also create a WebID for your folks and then grant that WebID full access to everything related to THEIR domain on YOUR plan - and still keep YOUR domain safe from them.”

Hi,

I am trying to do so as well, but can’t find the way.

Thank you.

sk
May I know how to do this?

If I understood you correctly, you want to give your folks a domain name that’s separate from your family domain name, on which your folks can store some data. You want them to be able to access this data without getting access to your files. It’s not entirely clear whether your folks want to publicise this data, or just access it for themselves and nobody else?

If they don’t intend to share it with web visitors, then I’d say that Thirdeyefx is right: a htccess-secured area inside your own plan is a good way to go.

If they do want to share the data with web visitors, then I think you should:
1- register a suitable domain name,
2- have this domain hosted in your plan (you get full access to that domain, as well as the full access you already have to your plan),
3- create a new WebID for your folks (so that they get a login that’s different from yours), and finally:
4- grant this new WebID access to only that new domain (they get full access to that domain but not to the rest of your plan).

Does this make sense? Let me know.

TorbenGB

Hi Torben,

Thanks, this is what I mean, but I dunno how to do the step #4:

“4- grant this new WebID access to only that new domain (they get full access to that domain but not to the rest of your plan).”

Okay, then let’s dive into that step. Assuming you’ve already done steps 1-3, the rest is described well in the Knowledge Base. Here are a few helpful links:

How do I grant another person administrative privileges for my account?
https://panel.dreamhost.com/kbase/index.cgi?area=987

Can I give access to only ONE domain of mine?
https://panel.dreamhost.com/kbase/index.cgi?area=2542

Other relevant topics:
https://panel.dreamhost.com/kbase/index.cgi?area=899&keyword=grant

TorbenGB

Okay, I have got it. DH support forum users are so helpful, thank you very much.

sk