Multiple Domains hosted on one hosting account

I have 2 domain names and i want to be able to host both of them on my dreamhost hosting account. is there a way to do this? I have the shared hosting plan. Help

yes, you are allowed to host unlimited domains and sub-domains with any of the Dreamhost accounts. Simply add the domain (one that you have already registered) in the Panel > Domains > Manage Domains > Add domain / Sub-domain form.

–Matttail
art.googlies.net - personal website

Yes, of-course, hosting multiple domains under the one account is one of the great features of DreamHost.

If the domains are registered here at DreamHost, all you need to do is add them to the hosting system via the admin panel at Domains -> Manage Domains -> Add New Domain / Sub-Domain, you add them as Fully Hosted.

If the domains are registered elsewhere, there is an extra step you will need to do before doing the above. You need to configure the domains DNS to point to the DreamHost DNS servers. You will do this using whatever configuration utility your domain registrar provides.

The DreamHost DNS servers are…

ns1.dreamhost.com
ns2.dreamhost.com
ns3.dreamhost.com

Note, after changing your domains DNS configuration, it will take some time before the changes propagate around the Internet.

After you have completed the above steps, your home directory will contain a sub directory for each of your hosted domains. These will be named the same as the domain name (ie: mydomain.com). These sub-directories are where you place the site files for each domain.

edit: Beaten by matttail, I must learn to type faster :slight_smile:

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

so when people type in www.mydomain.com it will go to that domain? people wont have to type in www.originaldomain.mydomain.com? can someone clarify

Nop. You’re getting Domains and Sub-domains confused.
You can host as many domains under your Dreamhost account as you want. Domains look like this:
domain.com
domain2.org
domain3.net
And so on.

You can also host unlimited sub-domains with your account. A subdomain looks like this:
sub.domain.com
webmail.domain.com
sub.domain2.org
something.domain3.net

Each domain and sub-domain is also entirley seperate. Content of each of your domains or sub-domains can be entirley different for eachother.

Does that make more sense?

–Matttail

To follow up, here’s an other example you may be more familiar with.

Both Dreamhost.com and dreamhosters.com are domains.

This discussion forum is at a sub-domain:

Their blog is at a sub-domain:

The status pages are on a sub-domain:
status.dreamhost.com

–Matttail

Plus…

subdomain.subdomain.example.com :slight_smile:

I wonder how far you need to go to avoid spammers? I am up to :-
gin.gan.gooly.gooly.gooly.watcha.gin.gan.goo.example.com

so far…

Norm

…and this is not cpanel so your add-on domains/subdomains are real domains :slight_smile: