Multiple account (plans) - Is it allowed?

Hello!
I’d like to purchase 2 hosting plans, one for my friend and one for my own purposes. I would just be a managing his account, perhaps.
Purchases would not necessarily be done simultaneously, but I would use my credit card for paying for both accounts.

1. Is that possible (allowed)?
  2. Can accounts be under different names, but purchased with the same credit card (mine)?
  3. Are coupon codes valid for both purchases, or just the first one?
  4. Purchases would not necessarily be done simultaneously.

As soon as I get my questions answered I’m signing up! :slight_smile:
Thanks in advance!

This definitely falls into an area where you should contact pre-sales support at the following url:
http://www.dreamhost.com/contact.cgi

The Terms of Service say you’re not supposed to have multiple accounts. Some support people have mentioned that that’s mainly to keep people from rolling over from one promo-coded account to another. It’s also the case that you’ll have to have them do a manual override to have two accounts on the same credit card.

I know it’s close to blasphemy bringing this up, but why not just have one account with two users? Or just host his sites on your account, if you’re going to manage all his sites anyway?

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off
More Dreamhost coupons here!

Wow, that was fast :slight_smile:

I wanted us to have separate accounts, because who knows what future brings…
I would manage his account, but not take responsibility for content he’s hosting, cpu usage or any other TOS violation that would eventually lead to my account being suspended.

I’m not saying he’s not legit, I just don’t need the headache, if you catch my drift.

I’ll contact the support, when the time comes…
Thanks again.

[quote]I wanted us to have separate accounts, because who knows what future brings…
I would manage his account, but not take responsibility for content he’s hosting, cpu usage or any other TOS violation that would eventually lead to my account being suspended.

I’m not saying he’s not legit, I just don’t need the headache, if you catch my drift.[/quote]
Got it! You’re very prudent to follow this path.

I suspect it’s all much easier if you just sign up the accounts using different credit cards - ideally yours and his. I think you could even have him create a little “management” account for you under his account that would enable you to manage his hosting for him.

Again, this is an area I wouldn’t hesitate to contact pre-sales support about as it is pretty common here to have people who are professional webmasters manage the hosting for their clients who have their own accounts here.

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off

It appears you’re right. :slight_smile:

I’m form Serbia, btw, where owning a card eligible for Internet payments is not a common thing…
Not that we live in the Stone Age, but money transfers to the rest of the world and back is a bit tricky.

You been very helpful, Lensman, power to ya. :slight_smile:

I hope my memory is not failing me this time.

You can have multiple accounts with same credit card without using any promo codes.

If you want to enjoy discounts with promo code, it will be against DH’s TOS. You’d better to have two credit cards.

However, the best is still to check your situation with DH’s support. They will be glad to assist you.

$50 off and 3 free domains with code: [color=#CC0000]DH3[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

Unless you get it in writing from DH that it’s okay, I wouldn’t do it, since this is from the TOS:

I’d hate to have one person tell me it’s okay, then have another one boot me for breaking the TOS I agreed to when I signed up.

:stuck_out_tongue: Maximum savings promo code: MaxSavingsAtDH

I remember once I asked the customer support about that matter and get answered that it is ok to have multiple account but of course don’t use any promo code. The benefit of this is you can transfer your domain to your new account, and if one account is being suspended because of violation to TOS… the other is still okay as long that account did not violate TOS.

Supernova

Need great promo codes ? Check on this link.

I doubt this is what they have in mind.

I’m going to guess that you heard back from someone that didn’t know what they’re talking about… probably more of a reason to assume “no” and stick with the TOS. And if someone gets away with that, I’d credit it to luck, rather than it being okay with them.

From what I’ve seen, they don’t let TOS breakers back even when they beg… otherwise, they wouldn’t boot them in the first place and would just keep taking their money.

I guess I should reword what I originally said to getting it in writing from one of the Honchos, so that what they say would override anything someone else did wrong.

Or even Jeff, since he’s in Abuse and would probably have something to do with making sure a bad domain didn’t find its way back in under a different account.

If it didn’t work that way, this would be a nice comfy permanent home for spammers, since they can just hop from account to account, rather than host to host.

:stuck_out_tongue: Maximum savings promo code: MaxSavingsAtDH