Mug Root Beer Central Forum Template Training Sesh

i’m trying to figure out how to edit the file that controls the basic look of the forum, especially including the Table of contents - the names of categories and sub-categories.

since the default only has one category, this means learning to add categories, etc.

i looked at the Wiki and some other FAQ page, actually read the Readme, and then discovered the Template files.

i compiled the Template files into one Megatemplate file. it looks like they’re core to the functioning of the forum, and i thought it would be good to review them.

then i did a search for a keyword that was obvious in the default template, “sysadmin”.

but, i didn’t find anything.

then i installed the Yahoo Desktop Search beta, and set it to looking in my Dreamhost & forum directories,
so i can search there for a file that contains a keyword that’s viewable when browsing the default forum page.

where is the basic file that controls the table of contents on the home page for the forum ?

Thanks in advance for any help !!

Which forum are you talking about?

If you are talking about PHPBB, you need to log in as an admin to modify the look of forum, modify names of categories, add new category. If you are able to log in as an admin, it should not be difficult for you to do that… Just follow the menu in the left.

Save $50 (MAX Discount) with code: [color=#CC0000]50YES[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

thanks. it was right in front of my face.

perhaps i should note, i am one of the vision impaired members. i had a bad outcome from LASIK eye surgery. i went from a 10 hour computer day to a 2 hour computer day.

at some point i’ll probably be asking questions about speech recognition in conjunction with my bulletin board(s). but, for right now, i’d just like to tweak the table of contents & get some home-brewed graphics in there.

Question ==>
can phpBB support any more nesting than category & forum ? what would be the most straightforward way to do this ?

i am or was a design engineer; i’ve taken maybe 11 programming classes my whole life, and programmed using languages like HTML & VRML & javascript. but i wouldn’t call myself a programmer.

I don’t think PHPBB supports nesting forum. You can have two levels category so far.

Maybe I am not aware of it. But I’ve checked the admin settings, I don’t see any option for it.

Save $50 (MAX Discount) with code: [color=#CC0000]50YES[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here