MUD Hosting

Hey guys. I noticed that dreamhost offers shell accounts at least from what I read it does. I was wondering if I could create a small MUD just for testing. It wouldn’t be for public use it would just be for my own personal use to learn from.

Thanks,
-Odin

What does your question about a small MUD have to do with a shell acount?

DreamHost doesn’t offer running server programs like that. There is even a clause in the Terms of Service (TOS) that beings “The customer agrees to make use of DreamHost Web Hosting servers primarily for the purpose of hosting a website, and associated email functions.” Not to mention the stipulation in another clause that says “Any application that listens for inbound network connections (even if the application would otherwise be allowed) are not permitted.”

Besides that, this is a customer forum. There is no guarantee that you will get an official or valid answer to your question here. If a question about policy isn’t answered in the TOS, contact sales at http://www.dreamhost.com/contact.cgi

Why exactly do you need a remote shell account to test a MUD anyways? As another forum visitor says, “There is no place like 127.0.0.1”

:cool: openvein.org -//-

Yep, instant shell access is easy at Dreamhost :slight_smile:

You could run a MUD server (even a public one) on Dreamhost VPS no problems at all.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost

i have definitely run muds on Dreamhost before, but i’ve never figured out how to get an open port to let outsiders connect to them, as far as I am aware, you are unable to do that. I don’t have a PS though, just shared. Perhaps it’s different.

VPS comes with an unique IP and persistent processes are allowed.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost

Persistent processes are allowed… but what about getting an outside port? Ports below 1024 require root access to use. I don’t know what ports a MUD would use.

I personally tried to setup an ftp server on a DH PS account, and failed. It may be possible, but it’s not straightforward.

Click here or enter [color=#CC0000]FREEDOM3[/color] for $50 off and 3 free domains!

You set up your server to listen to whichever port you want and then publish that port number when you tell people about your MUD server

Well, you can’t set up your own ftp server to listen to port 21, but in concept there’s not reason you can’t have your ftp configured for a different set of ports.

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off
More Dreamhost coupons here!

I didn’t spend a lot of time on it, but yes, I was trying to use a different port. That’s for a different thread though!

Click here or enter [color=#CC0000]FREEDOM3[/color] for $50 off and 3 free domains!