MT install

apps

I have been using the handy wombatnation page, but I get a ‘500 Internal Server Error’ when I try to load the mt/mt-load.cgi page. Do I need to have Dreamhost support load the CGI scripts? That is on the list at the MT troubleshooting guide. While I had some directory mistakes when I first modified mt.cfg file, I think I have resolved them.

While I understand and used html for a while, scripting I very much the newbie. Any help appreciated.

geistbear

[quote]I have been using the handy wombatnation page, but I get a
’500 Internal Server Error’ when I try to load the mt/mt-load.cgi
page. Do I need to have Dreamhost support load the CGI scripts?

[/quote]

Unfortunately, DreamHost support is unable to install or support 3rd party scripts such as Movable Type. However, odds are very good that the problem with your installation is one of the several common issues described in the following KBase article:

https://panel.dreamhost.com/kbase/index.cgi?area=144

The #1 most common problem is a permissions issue with the script or the directory that contains it, so I’d definitely check there.

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

Yep, my experience in making lots of errors, having people email me questions about their errors, and reading about other people’s errors on the Movable Type support forum is that the top two installation mistakes are:

1. Permissions set incorrectly
  2. Files transferred in binary mode instead of ASCII text mode

As for 1), make sure you chmod all the CGI files except mt-db-pass.cgi in the MT directory to 755 (user read, write, execute – group read, execute – other read, execute). You should chmod mt-db-pass.cgi to 644 (user read, write, – group read – other read), because it really isn’t a CGI file. It contains your database password.

As for 2), most FTP clients will default to binary mode or to auto mode. In auto mode, they try to guess the type of the file and then switch to the appropriate transfer mode. On Windows, the FTP clients usually make the guess based on the file extension. If the FTP client doesn’t recognize the file extension, it goes with the default mode, which is usually binary. Since a lot of the Movable Type files have unusual extensions, your FTP client will probably make a bunch of wrong guesses.

When uploading the Movable Type files to your DreamHost server, you should transfer every file in ASCII text mode except for the gif files in the images directory and in the docs directory.

[/quote]

Actually on DH’s set-up it’s a good idea to chmod that 600 (owner read/write, group none, world none) for added security. (cgi runs as you so it’ll have no problem reading the file)

Thank you very much for pointing that out. I just updated my MT installation notes (and the cgi file in my MT install, of course) to indicate how privileges should be set for mt-db-pass.cgi.

Robert
http://www.wombatnation.com/