MT and Dreamhost

apps

I am considering switching from another host to Dreamhost, but I am concerned about the negative things I’ve heard regarding MT and Dreamhost. Apparently there are issues with rebuilds timing out for large sites? I’d like to hear any feedback available about MT implemented on Dreamhost.

Thanks!

I run several insatalls and don’t have any problems. Mt is not the most stable of software, and has several know bugs in the most current version. but all in all it works well for me.

If you want you can see a couple of MT powered sites I have, not that you can access the interface - but you can see how fast commenting and that sort of stuff works. Check out Ex Libris Bitsy

-Matttail

[quote]Apparently there are issues with rebuilds timing out for large sites?

[/quote]

My understanding is that a lot of those issues were fixed in later versions of MT. We certainly don’t get the number of complaints about this that we used to, if that’s any indicator. I think the code quality has gone up since the v2.X days.

There’s a setting somewhere in MT that allows you to set the number of pages to rebuild per script execution. I believe that’s where the problem was with large sites. Set that low enough, and you probably won’t have trouble.

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

Rebuilding in MT happens at 20 pages at a time and it’s not sluggish at all. My site, only aprox 150 pages, takes just a minute or two to run a full rebuild, rather small.

I use MT3.0D, if you’re curious.

[quote]Rebuilding in MT happens at 20 pages at a time and it’s not sluggish at all.
My site, only aprox 150 pages, takes just a minute or two to run a full
rebuild, rather small.

[/quote]

Yeah, I don’t think that MT 3 has exhibited this problem at all, on our servers at least. I think maybe it’s that some older versions of MT wrote 40+ pages at a time, and - with comments - it ran up against our process management tools (which auto killed it). It’s been a while since I’ve seen any complaints about it, that’s for sure.

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin