Hello. I'd like some advice regarding moving my Wordpress blog to a new domain.
- I created a Wordpress blog using the one-click install a while ago.
- Things are going great with the blog, so now I've registered a specific, fully hosted, domain just for it.
- I need to migrate my blog to its new home.
Should I create a new database? Or can I use the existing one?
Should I use the one-click install for the new domain, then customize that?
I've encountered problems trying to reproduce the database (exporting it from one, importing it to another) using the phpMyAdmin via the web panel. Problems include permission errors and issues where "that db name already exists" - I'm sick of messing with this and need to know if I can use the existing db with the new wordpress installation.
Ideally I'd like to do the following:
- Use the one-click install for the new domain
- Use the existing database
- Overwrite the new one-click installed html and configuration files, with the files from the existing site.
But I'm not sure if any of this will work.
I realize there is lots of advice and HOWTOs out there for this type of move, but I can't find anything specific for doing the process via DreamHost's web panel.
Thanks for any advice.