Moving Wordpress from a subdirectory to root

Hi,

I did do a search on the forum but it looks like the last posts about this were from 2008, and I know lots of stuff around one-click installs has changed since then so I wanted some fresh takes on this problem.

I have a client where we were fleshing out their site in a subdirectory (example.com/sub). Now I want to hand it over to them, but first move the wp files to the root (example.com).

How can I do this safely? I am familiar with FTP and some .htaccess stuff, but I’m not too sharp when it comes to php and anything much deeper.

I tried following the steps here (https://discussion.dreamhost.com/thread-135644.html?highlight=move+one-click+install) but I was not successful. I get this when I try to access the root:
[i]Warning: require(./wp-blog-header.php) [function.require]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/eastsidemow/eastsidemeals.org/index.php on line 17

Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required ‘./wp-blog-header.php’ (include_path=’.:/usr/local/lib/php:/usr/local/php5/lib/pear’) in /home/eastsidemow/eastsidemeals.org/index.php on line 17[/i]

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Seriously - 48 views but no takers? Hello Dreamhost, are you listening? Should I contact support directly?

Maybe because this has been explained to death on this forum every month again and again.
Search for: wordpress sub move

Yup, I read that. But it is incomplete and old (what about index.php needs to change is not mentioned). With the changes to one-clicks recently, I thought maybe something has changed, and that’s why the directions aren’t working for me.

Thanks!

Hey, sorry, I usually catch these right away, but I’ve been traveling for DH and WordPress this weekend.

Moving WP from a subdirectory to root really hasn’t changed in the last few years, so the directions should still work.

Do you want WP to remain in it’s own folder and ‘act’ like it’s in root, or do you want to move all the files?

Go to this page: http://codex.wordpress.org/Giving_WordPress_Its_Own_Directory and read over step 8 onwards and you should be good to go