Moving to DH - some questions

Hi,

I’ve been looking at moving to DH and just want to check out a few things before I decide to go ahead with the move.

I have a reseller account that I’ve had for several years now which has quite a few domains on it. From reading some of the posts and faq’s and read that the bespoke control panel can handle multiple domains with ease - does it give you any stats on how much space and bandwidth they are using and are you able to limit these at all - is there packages I can create like you can in whm/cpanel?

How good is DH’s control panel - I’ve used plesk (snigger) and at the moment cpanel so its not a problem to relearn a new package if its any good? (I’m looking for unbiased customers to answer this one :smiley: )

I use phpmyadmin for my sql management does it come with my hosting account or does DH have their own version of this too - how easy is it to install phpmyadmin if I really have to?

I would like to move all of accounts over - firstly I’m going to move all the hosting and the domain name of my main account - if I move it over will I have to purchase a year on it - im guessing that if I do it will be added on to the end of the expirary date?

During the move I will move the data first and then update the nameservers on my old account - I’ve been told this can take several days to do - what happens to any email or database changes during the move - is there a risk they might get orphaned by going to the old host while the client gets the redirect to the hosting on DH?

Does DH really supply unlimited broadband and space for only $8.95 pm - not including the promo codes or is there some crazy catch like I have to give them my first born or something?

Thats all for now I think :slight_smile:

Have a look at the DH panel here and you will have an idea what you can do in DH.
demo.dreamhost.com

DH provide unlimited bandwidth and disk on all hosting plans. There is no need to have limit for a domain.

In DH, it doesn’t show the stats of a domain but it shows the stats of FTP user. If you want to have the stats of each domain, I’ll suggest you to create a new FTP user for each domain and monitor the stats of the user.

I personally like DH panel. It is different from plesk and cpanel but is powerful. It seems the panel is developed by DH and one thing good about it is that they develop new features in panel based on users requests.

phpmysqladmin is installed on all hosting plans and it is very easy to manaeg MySQL databases in DH. You will have an idea how easy it is to manage MySQL databases if you have a look at this article.
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Mysql

Yes, you will have to purchase a hosting plan first.

If I understand correctly, you are referring the expiry date of the hosting plan. If so, yes, the billing date starts from the date of purchase. However, domain registration is a separate process and it starts from the date registered.

These articles will help you with the transfer.
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Transfer_your_site_to_us
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/DNS_-Viewing_site_before_DNS_change
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/DNS
-_Accessing_your_Database_before_DNS_change

yes, but read TOS first.

First off - many thanks for your reply.

[quote]Have a look at the DH panel here and you will have an idea what you can do in DH.
http://demo.dreamhost.com[/quote]
The link doesn’t work for me - I tried it yesterday from another post and I couldn’t get it to work back then either. Does anyone know if this is being looked in to or any timeframe on when this will be back - it says theres a database upgrade.

[quote]DH provide unlimited bandwidth and disk on all hosting plans. There is no need to have limit for a domain.

In DH, it doesn’t show the stats of a domain but it shows the stats of FTP user. If you want to have the stats of each domain, I’ll suggest you to create a new FTP user for each domain and monitor the stats of the user.[/quote]
A number of my customers have free hosting for a certain amount of space and bandwidth so its very important that I can impose these limits - I cant really offer free unlimited webspace or really charge these accounts. If I assign an ftp account to them will I be able to monitor the bandwidth on these accounts. This might actually be an improvement on my previous host as the limits I set were hard limits - ie my customers wouldn’t be able to upload more data if their data limit was met and their visitors would get an error when the customers bandwidth was exceeded - I wanted soft limits where I could tell them they exceeded their limit but they could still operate business as usual. And besides this I would like to be able to monitor my customers for any unusual peaks in bandwidth or webspace in case they have any problems. For example one of my customers has, as part of his website, a photo album which is limited to a certain size per visitor - if a visitor managed to circumvent this limit and upload their entire photo collection I would like to be able to pick this up and let them know if they got a spike in their bandwidth or space usage.

Thats fantastic news - I’m all for open source and customisation and like the idea of this - whereas cpanel is pretty much limited in what the customer can do at least there is some flexibility with dh’s panel - great idea!!

[quote]phpmysqladmin is installed on all hosting plans and it is very easy to manaeg MySQL databases in DH. You will have an idea how easy it is to manage MySQL databases if you have a look at this article.
http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Mysql[/quote]
This could be a sticking point for me as a lot of my customers use phpmyadmin including myself. Is there any instructions in converting phpmyadmin data in to phpmysqladmin as this wasn’t really addressed in the link you posted.

I’m a bit lost on this one so forgive me if I seem a little dumb! On my previous host I have several different domains ie - example.com - each of these are pointed to my host’s namservers which then point the domain names to their relevant webspace. Each domain expires at different times - some of them still have over a year before they expire. My own actual domain does expire for a number of months yet but I want to move it to DH domains straightaway - if I do this will I have to pay any money to do this and if so will this basically go towards purchasing another year or two to the domain and if this is the case will it be added on to the end of the expiry so therefore the domain ownership with me is extended a further year or two? All the other domains will be moved over as and when they need renewing and my customers would like them renewed.

These articles will help you with the transfer.[/quote]
Thanks for the articles I did find the first one before posting but the other two have been very helpful. I’m just worried about one thing. During the migration process there will be a time when my nameserver will be changing from my old host to my DH hosting - during this time will there be a risk of some people seeing my old hosted site while others seeing my dh hosted site. I’m just worried that there will be lost data where for example a user will log in during the migration and update their profile only for that update to be lost in the 1-3 days this will take place - shutting down my sites for that amount of time may not be acceptable for some of my clients :confused: … maybe … I suppose I can notify them of the downtime during the migration and they’ll have to live with it but I was wondering if there is anyway around this?
Also one of my other worries during this is emails - some of my clients depend on these emails for their business and being without email for 3 days maybe a problem - theres nothing stopping them from accessing their email account on my old host after the migration to retreive any emails that went there while the migration is happening - is there any way around this too - does anyone have any experience of having their hosting migrated and what were their experience of what happened?

Thanks for the link. I’ve read somewhere that DH frowns on data being kept on their servers which doesn’t have public access - ie using their unlimited webspace as somewhere to store private stuff basically which I would agree on them too - its a webhost not an unlimited hard-drive after all. However there maybe some instances where (such as the photo album example above) where web users will be storing data for themselves and I wonder if this could be a problem with DH: as long as it doesn’t fall within being illegal or copyright would it be okay to host a file storage system for web visitors?

Many thanks for answering my concerns/questions in regards to moving my hosting. :smiley:

Sorry, I did not know there was a problem with that demo panel. It is worth to bring this up to DH support.

You can’t monitor the bandwidth of the FTP users. But you can view the disk usage of the FTP users. I don’t think you can set up soft limit for a domain or FTP user.

It is my understanding that you are trying to migrate databases over to DH. I’ll suggest you to dump your entire database into a file and import it into DH. This article will be helpful.

Did you mean to transfer the domain to DH? It is free to transfer the domain to DH. However I’ll suggest you to check with your current registrar whether or not they charge any administration fees.

When I renew my domain in DH, it is always added to the end of expiry date.

We know we can view database before DNS change. What if you configure your website to point to the new database first? I am guessing that you are worrying about the data not the visitors. I don’t have much experience on this and you may need to get some advices from others.

I’m sorry I can’t help with this. You will need to get some advice from others.

I don’t think this is a problem. I’ll suggest you to confirm this with DH support via http://www.dreamhost.com/contact.cgi

psyper, Patrick misspoke in calling the software “phpmysqladmin” — there’s no such thing. What we actually have is phpmyadmin, like you’re familiar with.