Moving site to Dreamhost via cPanel

Hi,

I’ve been hosting some sites on dreamhost for awhile, but had a wordpress-based one one on a different host as well. Recently my hosting contract with them came up and I decided to move the site to Dreamhost.

I have a cPanel backup of that site, and I know Dreamhost used to have a cPanel import tool, but I can no longer find it. The only mention on the wiki is a changelog saying that this link was removed a few months ago, but that the tool should still work…but I found a several-year-old link and it seemed to be dead?

Is it still available? Or is there a different way that I need to do it?

All the best,

Toby

Hi Toby,

Thank you for contacting us for support. We did end up removing the cpanel importer tool a while back. The format of the cpanel backup/package changed dramatically between versions, so only the oldest of the old of cpanel backups would work anymore, and fail nearly always every other attempt. It was difficult to reverse-engineer an importer for the very old versions, and to re-write for newer versions is a very time consuming project.

If you have to have cpanel cpanel, and are willing to buy the needed plan from cpanel, it can be setup on DreamCompute and then that used to import from cpanel to cpanel. We can’t fully support it but can guide you a tad, also having some knowledge in system administration would also be good for backups, etc.

You can send in a ticket here https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tree=support.msg& and our support team will get back to you as soon as possible,

Thanks!
Matt C

I realize this is an old thread, but what about migrating a cPanel domain and using the regular Dreamhost setup?

Wouldn’t a step-by-step help, particularly considering the fact that cPanel uses a different scheme for subdomains?