I have got to think this has been asked and answered but I've been unable to find it -- sorry.
Before I start with trial and error I want to do a little thought experiment and get some feedback.
The task is to move a site from my shell account/homedir to a new, different one that I created with the panel. Here's what I think I should do:
(1) create a subdomain like test.example.com running under the new user (done).
(2) login as that user and copy -- rsync might do nicely -- all the web files from my www dir to this user's www dir.
(3) search -- recursive grep perhaps -- throughout folder structure for any hard-coded references to my homedir, and update.
(4) test it with a browser, being careful not to mess with the database too much because I am leaving the MySQL db and connection parameters untouched because I don't see any need to change them.
(5) if all looks good, go into the panel and change the user under which the production site runs, and do NOT check the "move all the files" checkbox because we've done that ourself by hand.
(6) clean up -- remove the temporary subdomain.
Does this sound right?
There is incidentally a subdomain that will also need to be moved, and it is running under ssl, as in ssl.example.com. I suppose it's basically the same procedure, right?
Thanks very much.