Moving Servers

apps

I don’t know if this is the right place for this, but it looked like the closest fit.

So I am thinking about moving all my domains from a previous ISP to DreamHost. The only problem is that I have been with my old ISP for many years and I am a bit of a pack rat when it comes to projects, photos, etc…

Needless to say I have a bunch of database driven stuff (as well as a few thousand photos) on my old server that I would love to get over here to DreamHost. The question is how.

I really don’t want to do it myself, so if there is a web moving service out there, I would love to know about it.

Thanks,

John

I don’t know of any service off hand, but you can probably do it on your own if you’re willing to invest the time. the Wget utility will be of great help in moving data directly from one server to the next. You can also use command line SFTP (and FTP) to transfer files directly between your old server and new.

You should also find the migrate mysql article helpful for moving your databases.

There’s lots of helpful people here who will guide you on your way if you need more help. If you’re still wanting someone to do it for you I also suspect you could easily bait a good forum member with some money. :slight_smile:

–Matttail
art.googlies.net - personal website

Mattail has correctly pointed out many useful tools for helping accomplish this, but it’s that “databse driven stuff” that is likely to be the fly in the ointment.

Considerations such as the database engine in use (MySQL, Postgresql, DBM, etc., and their versions), the languages the database stuff is written in (version issues, available features, etc.), the actual code that drives the database stuff (standard and freely available web applications, and if so what versions, is it custom code, are paths “hardcoded”, are there easily modifiable configuration files to be tweaked, etc) and the OS/file structure in place at your previous host have everything to do with how big a chore this is likely to be.

Do you have shell access at the previous host? Can you post a url so that we can see what is involved?

–rlparker