Moving overseas

For latency reasons, is it possible to have my domain hosted in Australia, rather than the US?

My domains are hosted on punch.

I don’t think DreamHost has a datacenter in Australia - though I’m sure some DreamHost employees would volunteer to go open that office. :slight_smile:

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts

You really shouldn’t see more than 100ms of additional latency from Australia than you would from the US.

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] on all plans by using promo code: SRVR97. More Here

Does it improve overall performance if the domain is hosted in Australia?

Save $97 (MAX Discount) with code: [color=#CC0000]97YES[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes here

I have friends in both Sydney and Alice Springs who’ve had none to constant complaints about their pings to US gaming servers (MechCommander through WoW).

Just based on a couple of traceroutes I just did, here’s the latency for me:
my isp: 29 ms
west coast (las): 85-90 ms
sydney: 240 ms
melbourne: 255 ms
adelaide: 270 ms
alice springs: 290-300 ms

Things are a lot better than they were 10 years ago on sheer latency. I suspect that fatness of the pipes may still be an issue. From speed test sites, I’ve noticed my downloads from Australian servers are around 330 kbps while the ones to US West Coast servers is around 5-6 mbps. My connection to servers in the Northeast is 15-25 mbps.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts

Thanks for the information Lesman.

DH should launch more datacenters around the world then. Sounds easy eh :stuck_out_tongue:

Save $97 (MAX Discount) with code: [color=#CC0000]97YES[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes here

It’s not obvious to me that there’s a lot of demand for the costs associated with multi-national datacenters and the accompanying complications of running an international business - not the least of which is the legal difficulty of complying with the laws of multiple countries and perhaps having your operations in one country strong-armed as a result of the actions of your subsidiary in another country.

Additionally, I’d guess that part of the reason that DreamHost has so many non-US customers is that their value proposition is very attractive. And I believe that they can offer this great deal because of competitive advantages of running a hosting business in the US.

Plus if they wait long enough the pipes will eventually be big enough. :slight_smile: