Moving my entire site to Dreamhost

Hi there! Im planning on moving my entire article directory(around 40k articles/pages) site to dreamhost and I just want to know how the process works with DH. My current web host uses cpanel which means i can make a back up of my entire site. It would be great if i can do the moving myself from DH’s Web Panel or SSH. I havent tried SSH before though but I can learn fast. :slight_smile:

I just want to make sure before i sign up with dreamhost.

Any help please?
Thanks in advance.

Here’s the official story:

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Transfer_your_site_to_us

There are faster/better ways than the download to PC, upload to server game, to transfer data from your old host to new host.

They hired more support help.
Tip me (and DreamHost gets 5%+$0.30) Cut the code: [color=#00CC00]9999=$99.99 Off[/color]

you can unzip/untar files in DH with ssh

Get [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] Off with promo code :[color=#6600CC]97USD[/color] :cool: use “moua” as referrer

If you can put your backup in a web accessible area on your current host/server, and get your account open on DreamHost, you can ssh into the DreamHost server and use wget to transfer your backup directly.

Tip me (and DreamHost gets 5%+$0.30) Cut the code: [color=#00CC00]9999=$99.99 Off[/color]

How does SSH works? How can i do that?

Search the wiki, and the Force will be with you. Let others search it for you, and you will perish. :slight_smile:

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/SSH

Wow that was very cheap. Thanks there anonymous2 for your promo code.

DH says:

Welcome to DreamHost!
YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR CHANGING YOUR DNS SERVERS TO:
ns1.dreamhost.com, ns2.dreamhost.com, ns3.dreamhost.com!

Your payment has been accepted, and your account will be set up as soon as it is approved! We will send you an email with your FTP/shell password when this happens.

We’ve sent you a welcome email just now which outlines what you can do at https://panel.dreamhost.com/ to continue configuring your account.

Thank you for choosing DreamHost!

How long does it take them to setup my hosting account?

If you pay using credit card, they will approve your account within 24 hours after they receive your fax.

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97MONEY[/color].

24 hours, don’t count on it. I’ve been waiting since Friday and they don’t even feel the need to reply to my inquiry about if they even got a fax.

It’s getting very frustrating and it doesn’t reflect good at all on what I can expect from them in the future. Too bad, they came highly recommended.

well, mine was approved within 24 hours. I faxed the form from singapore. They approved my account the next day. But I wasted more than one week to sign up plan, cancel plan, sign up new plan, and transfer domain. If you have something urgent, send the support team an eamil marked as URGENT. PEOPLE ARE DYING. They will then reply to you very fast :stuck_out_tongue:

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97MONEY[/color].

I signed up using my paypal account as my payment method. Does that mean i dont have to fax anything to them?

If you’re paying from a verified paypal account it should happen quickly.

Wholly

yes, if you make payment using paypal, you don’t need to fax them the form. They will directly approve your account shortly. But you can’t enjoy the discount $97 dollar.

You can now obtain promo-code discounts with all payment types, including PayPal. See the post linked below;

http://discussion.dreamhost.com/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=curious&Number=63442&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1#Post63442

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

My account stil not active.

how long has it been since you completed the application? I have heard of some applications taking a few days to approve.

Pay just [color=#CC0000]$22.40[/color] for 1 year Dreamhost hosting, use promo-code [color=#CC0000]MOJO97[/color]
Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] on all 1 and 2 year plans!! (Max saving on monthly plans too!!)

I’ve been waiting since the 8th. But I managed to get an email back after nagging support and billing: “I’ll forward your inquiry to our billing departement”. Yeah, I’m going to forward my money somewhere else soon too, it’s pretty ridiculous.

Bah.

Its almost 2 days now since i signed and still not active.

myspace layouts | ituloy angsulong
article submission

Signed up yesterday using Paypal (and got the discount)… and also got “I’ll forward your inquiry to our billing department” when I asked about the activation time.

Oh well. Sounds if I’ve got to wait a few more days - I think they’ve just got their hands full.

I think you may be right, probably due to the recent influx of new customers taking advantage of the anniversary promo-code.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )