Moving hosting to non-DH. DNS issues

I have a domain I would like to temporarily move from DH to Verio where I have free ASP.NET hosting as a user group member. I’m having trouble switching.

On their forum I read: “The free sites do not require that you purchase your domains from Verio. If you do, we host your DNS services for your domain as part of the domain product but if you choose to purchase the domain elsewhere, you have to configure your domain there. For instance, if your free site is on the IP 123.234.34.54, then you will go to the provider that you purchased the domain from and configure the A record for your domain to point to the IP 123.234.34.54. Warning: Do not configure your domain’s name servers to point to our name servers as they will not serve the domain unless it was purchased from Verio.”

Also, on my control panel at that address I see “Warning! It appears that DNS for this Web Site [DNS Record Not Found] may not be set correctly (or possibly DNS has not yet propagated). Please verify that DNS has been assigned to [204.3.181.18].”

In my DH control panel, attempting to set DNS to an IP address gives me an error.

What next?

Thanks,

Douglas

It’s not clear to me from your explanation when you’re referring to the DreamHost control panel and when you’re referring to the Verio control panel (if any).

1. What is the IP address of your server at Verio?
  2. When you say you get “an error” when you attempt to “set DNS” on your DreamHost panel, what error do you get and what exactly did you try to set in the DreamHost panel.

Using my nascent psychic powers, have you removed hosting for the domain at DreamHost before trying to set the “A” record for your domain?

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts

On the DH control panel, when I try to modify the whois to set DNS for hosting elsewhere, it asks for a minimum of two name servers and each most be in the form server.domain.com (no IP addresses allowed).

The Verio control panel (I gather, from the message above) only provides one address for DNS and it is an IP address.

Thanks

This is where things went pear-shaped. Don’t modify the whois for your domain at DreamHost. According to the Verio instructions, you’re supposed to add an “A” record to the DNS records at DreamHost. You need the IP address of your server at Verio.

I’ll guess that you’re referring to your Verio control panel here. If this is the case, I’ll also guess that 204.3.181.18 is the IP address of the server that’s hosting your domain at Verio. Please verify this.

At any rate, going with my instinct here, you need to remove hosting for your domain from the “Domains>Manage Domains” screen. You should see your domain in the table on that page.

1. In the “Web Hosting” column, you should click “delete” to tell the DreamHost system that you’re not hosting this domain at DreamHost. This will also release the blank and www “A” records for your domain.
  2. Then click on the “DNS” link for your domain. This will take you to the DNS entry editing page for that domain.
  3. You will probably want to add two custom DNS entries. One blank one and one for “www”. Both should be “A” records. Enter 204.3.181.18 as the “value” for the records. You can leave the comment blank or put in “Verio” if you want. Remember that you need to verify the IP address of your Verio server for me.

Let us know if you have trouble with this.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for more promo code discounts

What’s confusing me hear is that the domain in question is no longer on the list (because I deleted it from DH hosting). Since its not on the list, I don’t know how to get to it’s DNS editing screen where I would be able to edit A records.

I see the domain under “registrations” only.

[quote]What’s confusing me hear is that the domain in question is no longer on the list (because I deleted it from DH hosting). Since its not on the list, I don’t know how to get to it’s DNS editing screen where I would be able to edit A records.

I see the domain under “registrations” only.[/quote]
Remember in your original post where Verio said:

See the part where they said, “but if you choose to purchase the domain elsewhere, you have to configure your domain there.”?

That means that they won’t provide nameservers for you unless you purchase your domain through them. This is ok because you can just manage your DNS at DreamHost.

What you need to do now before doing the things mentioned in my post are:

1. Go back to “Domains>Manage Domains” on the DreamHost panel.
  2. Use “Add New Domain / Sub-Domain” to add your domain back in.
  3. Go back to “Domains>Manage Domains” on the DreamHost panel again. You should see your domain in the table on that page now.
  4. In the “Web Hosting” column, you should click “delete” to tell the DreamHost system that you’re not hosting this domain at DreamHost. This will also release the blank and www “A” records for your domain.
  5. Then click on the “DNS” link for your domain. This will take you to the DNS entry editing page for that domain.
  6. You will probably want to add two custom DNS entries. One blank one and one for “www”. Both should be “A” records. Enter 204.3.181.18 as the “value” for the records. You can leave the comment blank or put in “Verio” if you want. Remember that you need to verify the IP address of your Verio server for me.

That should get you all set up, if 204.3.181.18 is your Verio server.

Thank you for you patient help! What threw me most I think was not carefully observing the fact that there are TWO columns with ‘delete’. I thought I was deleting the hosting but instead deleted the whole thing.

Then, it was further confusing to have to go through “fully host at DH” to get it back in without DH hosting.

Thanks again.

I’ve almost been fooled by that before myself! Sorry for not pointing that out. Sometimes when I’m not-so-tired I do add in a warning about the two deletes but I neglected to do so this time. I apologize for that.

You also make a good point that there really should be a way of adding a domain to your hosting plan without actually having hosting. Then again, since there’s a simple-though-not-entirely straightforward workaround, I guess there are more important things to improve for us!

Anyway, I’m very glad you’ve turned the corner on fixing your problem. Let me (and us) know if anything else goes wrong or if there’s another hitch. We’re here because we like helping people!