Moving domains and subdomains separately

I’m getting ready to move the hosting for a couple of domains and their assorted subdomains to dreamhost.

Is it possible to do this one bit at a time? Specifically, I want to move a primary domain and get it’s email addresses working, then do the subdomains one at a time.

This is because they have not only web content, but email and MySql databases that need to be moved as well, which means I’d really hate having to do all of it at once.

Also, what is the toll free phone number for Dreamhost tech support? Sometimes it helps to actually talk with a live human.

[quote]Is it possible to do this one bit at a time? Specifically, I want to move a primary domain and get it’s email addresses working, then do the subdomains one at a time.

This is because they have not only web content, but email and MySql databases that need to be moved as well, which means I’d really hate having to do all of it at once.[/quote]
It is possible to do this. Your DNS entries will be a bit more complicated. I think the easiest thing for you to do is to add hosting here at Dreamhost for your domain and all your subdomains, and then manually edit the A records at your old host one at a time as you want to switch over. You can edit your /etc/hosts file on your local computer to view the Dreamhost sites before you switch each of the DNS entries over or you can use the dreamhosters subdomain method. This wiki article describes how to view your site before making the permanent DNS change.

Also, email delivery to the domain is controlled by your MX records, which are separate from the A records which “control” your hosting.

If you have the Happy Hosting plan, you can purchase the callback support for $9.95 a month.

Extra lifetime domain and $82 off with code [color=#CC0000]1DOM82[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. More Dreamhost coupons