Moving domain from Wix to Dreamhost

Hello,

I would like to move my domain over from Wix to Dreamhost but I think I need more information before I attempt.

When I researched on Wix about how to do it, they said that all I had to do was simply click a link on their site and an email would be sent to me with all the information that I would need. Is that true?

What do I have to do on the DreamHost end to make this happen? I already have the site built and hosted here.

I also read a scary notice that said:
“In accordance with ICANN rules, you will only be able to transfer your domain 60 days after purchasing it from Wix.”

The Wix site has been live for over 60 days. Does the notice pertain to me??

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to make sure everything will work before I move it over.

Thanks!
-Sara

So you have a domain name that you registered via wix? And you wish to point that to an existing site at dreamhost? (If it all possible tell us the domain names, using public DNS and Whois info we can give much better answers.)

The only one of your questions I can concretely answer at this time, is that the 60 day limitation doesn’t apply to you. Even if it did, that’s referring to transfer of registration, not where DNS points.

Do you mean to transfer the domain registration or host the domain in Dreamhost?

If you only want to host the domain in Dreamhost, you can create a A record in wix and point it to DreamHost.

Yes, the person who I am building a Wordpress site for previously built a site on Wix. He bought the domain there. And yes, what I need to do is remove the Wix site and replace it with the one I have built and hosted on Dreamhost.

The domain from the Wix site is www.traidincamerica.com and I need to move that over to the www.joeytestsite.com.

Actually, my biggest concern was about the 60 day limitation, so thank you for answering that one so fast!

Here’s the WHOIS info:

Let me know if you need any more information!

Thanks so much!
-Sarah
[hr]

Yes, sorry for being unclear, we need to transfer the registration. Thank you for the links!

Ok first thing, transferring the registry of the domain from WIX to dreamhost is probably something that you will want to do, but not something that needs to be done now. In fact it doesn’t expire til next August, so anytime before about next June would be good (giving time to allow for hiccups before it actually expires). Or the domain could stay registered there forever. Registration and where it’s hosted are two different things.

The best way to get the domain pointed over to dreamhost to log into wix and change the nameservers to NS1.dreamhost.com, NS2.dreamhost.com, NS3.dreamhost.com and let dreamhost manage the DNS for the domain.

If there are other considerations tho (such as email hosted elsewhere), you could just use an A-record to point hosting over here. (be sure to get rid of Wix hosting first since you can’t have 2 conflicting A-records. (there are reasons to have multiple A-records but this isn’t one of them, and will in fact break your site half the time if you do.) THere are other Cons to doing it this way as well. Best is to change the nameserver records.

Ok, I tried to find a way to change the nameservers on Wix and it looks like they don’t allow anyone to do that. Here is what I found: Wix: "Unfortunately, it isn’t currently possible to change the name servers of a domain through the Wix Domain Manager.

If you wish to change the name servers of a domain purchased through Wix, you’ll have to first transfer the domain to a different host.

To transfer a Wix domain: Sign in to your Wix account > from the top menu, hover over Subscriptions > click Domains > click Manage next to the relevant domain.

Under Domain Summary, click the Advanced tab > on the right, click Transfer away from Wix > click Send.

An email code will be sent to your email address. This code should be forwarded to your new domain host."

So, I guess I just need to know what to do on the DreamHost end to transfer the domain name over to you guys.

Thanks!
[hr]
…and actually I think I found all the info I need in that link that patricktan posted. :slight_smile:

Yea just follow the instructions, the domains been active since 2011 so the 60 day thing has nothing to do with this case… (unless the registration was just transferred TO wix in the last 60 days, that would trigger a new transfer wait).

FWIW, when you transfer registration to dreamhost you pay a fee, but it also adds a year to the expiration date, so the net cost is 0 over time.

It will be straight forward to transfer the domains.

But please set up the site in Dreamhost in advance to avoid any down time. Read the wiki page and follow the instructions.