Moving content from one domain to another

i’m starting a new site, i’ve been setting it up, and now i’ve thought of a better name, so i have a new domain name. what’s the easiest way to move all the content from one domain to another? basically just from one folder to another? will cute ftp’s cut/paste function work fine? i need to preserve all the permissions and such and some of my encrypted php files apparently only work when uploaded in binary, so i need everything to stay the same. i have several subdomains i need to move too.

you can use shell command to move the folders. refer to wiki for some shell command http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Shell_Commands

you can also remap the new domain to the previous web folder. check DH panel --> Domains --> Remap Sub-Dir

I hope I am not mis-leading you :stuck_out_tongue:

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color].

hmm, i tried using
cp -r $HOME/domain.com/subdir $HOME/newdomain.com/subdir
and it says
cannot stat ~/home/username/domain.com/subdir: no such file or directory

the path is right, so i dunno…

-edit-
think i got it. no need for $HOME

-edit-
ahaha. better idea: rename the domain.com folder to newdomain.com

Congrats! :stuck_out_tongue:

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color].

haha, look at my latest edit :slight_smile:

oh ya… the system will automatically looks for the domain.com folder.

this is the best solution.