Moveable type: mysql access

apps

Hi -

I’ve installed Moveable Type 3.1, guided by the really useful instructions on Wombat Nation. I’ve set up a mysql database, set up a user, and a mysql host. When I try to use MT I get the following error:

Got an error: Bad ObjectDriver config: Connection error: Access denied for user: ‘mrdatabase@205.196.208.0/255.255.240.0’ to database ‘mt_tq’

This sounds a lot like the problems described in this recent thread:

http://discussion.dreamhost.com/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=3rdparty&Number=12936&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1#Post12936

Their solution was to delete the old mysql user and create a new one, but I’ve done that a few times now with no luck. I’ve also deleted the old data base and started from scratch a few times, and I’ve tried (in desparation) allowing connections from any host.

Note that I can log into the data base from the unix shell (mysql -umrdatabase -hMYSQLHOST …) or using PHPmyadmim with this same user name and password.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks - Robert

If ur sequence of events is correct, then what’s probably causing the problem is u’ve set up the username before the db hostname.

Set the hostname first. Then wait for the status to change from “changed” to “active”.

Only then do u create the username.

Thanks, I’ll give that a try.

I am encountering the same problem when using MySQL for drupal. I have tried deleting my username and recreating it, I have created an entirely new username, and so far, neither method has worked. I’m able to log into both the phpMyAdmin and the command line mysql interfaces, but when I try to run the following command:

GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON databasename.*
TO myusername@localhost IDENTIFIED BY ‘mypassword’;

I receive this error:

ERROR 1044: Access denied for user: ‘myusername@111.111.111.0/255.255.240.0’ to database ‘databasename’

Might anyone have ideas for me to try on this? Or should I plead my case to the Drupal intiates? :slight_smile: I figured this was a general MySQL burp though. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Gosh… wish I knew what drupal was. Must check out sourceforge.

Your db has a problem attaching usernames to the hostname. Anyway, as far as my MySQL experience permits, why don’t u try creating a new database, and use a hostname u’ve never used before. Like my earlier advice… make sure the status of the db turns from “changed” to “active” before you create usernames.

You can’t grant privileges from there, though you can do so from the panel by editing the MySQL user.