Movable Type installation

Hi there. I’ve scoured the forums, but haven’t found one with the specific install error I received when trying to install Movable Type.

Connection error: Can’t connect to local MySQL server through socket ‘/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock’ (111)

I received this when trying to run mt-load.cgi. I’m guessing I did something wrong when creating the MySQL database.

Any thoughts?

I just had the same problem.

I wonder what it is…

Anyone know?

How long ago did you create your database? I’m just wondering if I’m impatient and trying to set the program up before the database is active and populated.

I just did it.

It said it’s active. So I don’t know what the deal is.

You’ll have to specify the MySQL server in the config somewhere (it’ll be the MySQL hostname you created when you setup your database).

That error could mean a lot of things, but I’d suggest trying both of the following:

• Make sure that you’ve added a database and have given it enough time to be created (this can take a few hours sometimes).

• Make sure that in the MT configuration file you’ve specified the correct MySQL hostname, database name, database username, and database password. You can test this by logging into your database from the command line.

Good luck!

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

It takes sometime for a new MySQL database to become available.

You can check if the database is up by visiting the hostname in your web browser. If it is not up, you’ll get the an error saying that site doesn’t exist. If it is up, you’ll get phpMyAdmin asking for a username and password.

You must specify the hostname in your scripts. If you do not, then PHP or Perl will try to access the database using “localhost” as the hostname and you’ll get this error:

Can’t connect to local MySQL server through socket ‘/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock’ (111)

But I removed the MYSQL feature and Moveable Type is working wonders.

Thanks for the advice so far. I’m getting the same error, but I have tested the database through the steps you listed, and I can log in to it from the browser. I suspect I’m just pointing to the wrong place.

MT asks me to add the following lines in the config file:

DataSource ./db
ObjectDriver DBI::mysql
Database database_name

(along with database user and pass, which I have exact. No need to reprint those here.)

I have added the following:

DataSource /home/ruiner/

Any glaring errors you can see? Once again, thanks for the assistance.

What did you use for DBHost? Are you sure you entered the correct username and password in the MT.cfg and mt-db-pass.cgi?

Ha hah! That was the problem. I didn’t specify DBHost, thinking that information was the database. For others referenced I changed to:

Database words

and that did it. Thank you!

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

And jumped past another hurdle where it wasn’t seeing any of my files. All is good now.

Kockybrat, if you did want to use the MySQL features, I could probably help out since it’s all fresh in my mind. Just let me know.

email is:

Before this third party software forum was set up (thanks, Jeff!), I wrote up some step-by-step notes on my Movable Type 2.5 install that luckily went very smoothly, but the link I posted to those notes is now buried deep in a thread in the General Troubleshooting section. Hopefully, it will be easier for people to find and use. This, of course, assumes my notes are comprehensible and helpful. If they aren’t helpful, please let me know and I will delete the link so I don’t lead anyone astray.

Thanx! This should be helpful for future installs, even to those of us who have gone through it already.

I’ve done everything as suggested in the forums and in the official installation docs but still don’t seem to be connecting properly to the mysql server. With the mt-load.cgi page I’m getting…

Connection error: Access denied for user: ‘’ (Using password: YES)

I setup the database and user through the control panel, assigned host, entered info in the mt.cfg file, uploaded everything as ascii, but that’s as far as I can get.

Any further suggestions?

Can you connect to your database, either from the comand line, or phpMyAdmin (go to the host name with a browser)?

If you can’t, try deleting and recreating the user – with no password confimation it’s easy to mistype the password.

If you can connect, double check that the pasword and only the pasword is in mt_db_pass.cgi

I’m leaving this post for reference, but everything is working now! It all came down to my ftp client not uploading some of the files in ascii that had to be. Specifically, the schema dir and file. And I’m guessing that some of the permissions were not set properly as well.

Original post…

I can connect via phpMyAdmin and I’ve checked the password as well. I’ve set all permissions to 755 (through my ftp client, I wasn’t allowed to from command line).

I just don’t seem to be pointing at the database at all. Here’s what I’ve set

Database nbmtblog
DBUser nbmtblogadmin

I also uncommented the following

DBUmask 0022
HTMLUmask 0022
UploadUmask 0022
DirUmask 0022

BTW, mt-check.cgi reports back that everything is OK to continue.

OK, I reset the user and password. One step forward…I seem to be connecting to the DB, but…two steps back…now I’m getting the following…

Loading initial data into system…
Loading database schema…

An error occurred while loading data:
Query was empty at mt-load.cgi line 54.

Thanks to all

I’m glad it’s working now. Welcome to the Dreamhost/Movable Type experience! :slight_smile:

Just wanted to say thanks for those step-by-step notes, they sure made my life easier. :slight_smile: I’m waiting for the mysql subdomain to become active, but hopefully I’ll be in MT land soon! Thanks!