Most efficeint way to abandon an email address

I have email addresses that get too much spam. When I just cannot stand it any more, I create a new address and put an autoresponder on the old one apologizing and asking my old contacts to find me again through my web site. The old spammy email address is forwarded to a “trash” account that just deletes everything that comes to it.

A year later, I discontinue the autoresponder.

Question - Once I have abandoned the address altogether, is it more efficient for the mail server to continue to forward to my “trash” account -or- use DreamHost’s Garage Email option. I bet I get thousands of junk emails and I don’t want to be a resource hog.

Note to DreamHost folks - if Garbage Email is the way to go it would be nice if that was an option of the mail menu there on the left instead of hidden at the bottom of the add/edit email account page.

-Bill

I’d go with the garbage option. Because…

Your autoresponder just floods the Internet with what are effectively bounces to spam. I disagree with your approach and propose that you either take some steps to obfuscate your email address or use better spam filtering, or even whitelisting.

By not using the garbage option, messages to a non-existent email address bounce, causing the same backscatter as your autoresponder.

-Scott

Thanks for your input Scott.

[quote]Your autoresponder just floods the Internet with what are effectively bounces to spam. I disagree with your approach and propose that you either take some steps to obfuscate your email address or use better spam filtering, or even whitelisting.

[/quote]

As a business, I think an autoresponder used for a limted period of time (a year) is reasonable.

I recently changed my web site to hide my form based email addresses. And I’ve heard of a hashing concept that can obfuscate the remaining addresses. Still looking for an example to implement.

Biggest problem is when I provide other web sites that advertise for my dude ranch with a unique email. They rarely obfuscate. I’d like to find a method which works well and then provide them with some free advice to improve their sites.

[quote]By not using the garbage option, messages to a non-existent email address bounce, causing the same backscatter as your autoresponder.

[/quote]

I think you’ve misunderstoood my current method. I have a user account called TRASH. Everything mailed to this account is deleted after a week, not bounced. So I’m not backscatering. It is kind of nice to peek into the trash once in a while and see what kinds of trash I’m getting.

My question is whether this approach utilizes significantly more resources than the built-in “garbage can” option. I suspect you are right that the built-in “garbage can” is the most efficient use of resources.

Aside from my backscatter concern, what does it matter how resource-intensive it is? You need to pick a method that works for you. I doubt the mail server will take that much of a hit either way.

-Scott

If possible I would consider using the gmail platform to handle mail for your domain. You will get next to no spam, and can access your mail via web, pop or imap.

http://theMezz.com