More expensive/reliable hosts

I appreciate that DH is a cheap and cheerful service, but the regular down-time really is too much to bear. I’ve been visiting the status blog at least twice a week, and that’s just too much for me - so I’d be happy to except that I may chosen the wrong host for my requirements.

Who, and how much, should I be paying to avoid visiting a status blog to find out why my sites are down? Maybe this isn’t the right place to post this - but there’s some very vocal contributors here who continually point out that DH is cheap, and use this as an explanation for the downtime. Could the same people tell me who I should be buying an expensive/reliable/high-expectation service from, please?

Go check out and perhaps even ask at WHT. Their forums would absolutely be your best resource for determining “what is right” for you, outside of your own research.

Make sure you provide anyone else you ask with the appropriate information beforehand too, such as your system requirements (bandwidth, space, installed/available applications and services, etc). Without that, no one can really help you but yourself I’m afraid. Good luck :wink:

Chips N Cheese - Custom PHP installs and the like!

[quote]
I appreciate that DH is a cheap and cheerful service, but the regular down-time really is too much to bear. I’ve been visiting the status blog at least twice a week, and that’s just too much for me - so I’d be happy to except that I may chosen the wrong host for my requirements.

Who, and how much, should I be paying to avoid visiting a status blog to find out why my sites are down? Maybe this isn’t the right place to post this - but there’s some very vocal contributors here who continually point out that DH is cheap, and use this as an explanation for the downtime. Could the same people tell me who I should be buying an expensive/reliable/high-expectation service from, please?[/quote]
I would suggest you go to http://realmetrics.comwhere they monitor a number of Web hosts as to uptime, peak uptime (during the daytime hours), Web speed, speed of customer support, etc. You’ll probably come away with some good candidates.

Peace,
Gene Steinberg
Co-Host, The Paracast
http://www.theparacast.com

Thanks for the responses - I’ll get down to some research.

It seems to me that you have already decided to move to a more expensive host, but have you tried asking support to move you to another server? In my experience, not all DreamHost servers are equal, as far as uptime is concerned.

Mark

Web Hosting Reviews | DreamHost Promo Code

if you find the service you’re looking for, maybe you could let DH know, so that they can host their status page there… yep, it’s down again :frowning:

Indeed, check out these stats, you can pick the point where I ended up asking to be moved to a different server pretty easily.

Web Hosting Review | Get Around The Net Directory

Yes, I have same experience too.

When the server loads are high, I just contact the support and they move me to a less loaded server and I’m happy again.

Do contact support if you have any issues with that :slight_smile:

Dino

Get YOUR $97 off with [color=#CC0000]YOUGET97 [/color] promo code. Sign Up NOW

Same here. I had an issue where a user seemed to bogging down the server fairly often and I asked to be moved. They moved me and it has been great ever since.

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] on all plans by using promo code: SRVR97. More Here

Gene - beware of the objectivity of realmetrics.com - it appears to be a “Pay to List” site, as a result I’d expect special service from providers to them. Note that siteground.com had a sub 5 minute support response time for an entire month - not likely. (although they do tend to be significantly quicker than dreamhost, the quick responses have been known to be useless).

Always question your sources - that doesn’t mean that it isn’t a useful resource.

Wholly - Use promo code WhollyMindless for full 97$ credit. Let me know if you want something else!