Moodle

apps

Anyone know how to get started on Moodle? I’ve uploaded the file to my server but I am then supposed to click on “install.php” and it doesn’t seem to have uploaded with the rest of the files.

I’m a teacher not a techie, can somebody walk me through this?

I used the zip file. I coun’t figure out how to unpack it on the server so I unpacked it on my desktop and uploaded the whole thing to the server.

that should work fine, I do things that way from time to time. Where did you upload the files to? Did you put them in your webaccessable area with your other site files, or in the main directly you get when you first log into FTP?

They should be uploaded to a web-accessable area, and you’ll probably want it in a folder of it’s own. So you might create something like ‘moodle’ (which would be placed ‘under’ your domain.com folder)

Now in your webbrowser go to www.youDomain.com/moodle/install.php
Then things should start working. :slight_smile:

-Matttail

I think I’m doing it right. The files are under my domain name but the one I need is not there.

I started poking around to see what I could find in the files that did load and found this under admin:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected $ in /home/.borscht/emegan/mrsenloe.com/moodle/admin/index.php on line 42

I was going to give you the educators non-techie install instructions :slight_smile: but see you have your moodle up and running.

Quick un-tar, un-zip shell (*nix) commands:

to untar (extract) a file type: tar xf yourfilename.tar

to unzip type: unzip yourfilename.zip

Have fun Moodling!

I have just started using Moodle on Dreamhost also. I have another Moodle installation, which I have managed for over two years now, with another hosting service, so I am pretty comfortable with the package. I am curious about any issues that you have had getting Moodle running properly on Dreamhost. Have you had any other issues that required tweaking the standard Moodle installation?
Thanks

Hi Moodle Users!
I use Moodle on Dreamhost without problem.
Now I need to make cron.php execute every 5/10 minutes. Can I run cron.php on Dreamhost and how?
thnks

Yes, you can, but you need to do it from the command line. There is no online interface for this.
Access your account via the shell and enter:
crontab -l
That will give you a list of your crontabs, there should be none. Enter:
crontab -e
That will allow you to edit your crontab
Paste in your crontab string, something like:
*/5 * * * * wget -q -O /dev/null http://YOURSITENAME.com/moodle/admin/cron.php
Then save the job and get out.
You can run cronjob -l again to see if you were successful or not.
Good luck.

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=48414

Hi

I am also in Japan, Tokyo, and am trying to come to grips with moodle. I have three problems: cron job, memory increase from 8 m to 16 m and this
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=48414

I created a mysql database from dreamhost’s once click service. I can upload and see where the files are on my ftp. However, in trying to retrieve the uploaded files, the site points elsewhere. I have one folder for moodle itself, and another for moodledata, which contains the uploaded files. One of the files is at www.uladh.com/moodledata/2/IRELAND.jpg but the browser points at www.uladh.com/moodle/file.php/2/IRELAND.jpg This is the same story for all files I have uploaded. Even though I am logged in, I cannot download the files.

If you read the full post at Moodle, I am not alone in this, My techie advisor has only further confused me as I knowc noting about the PHP/Mysql.
I want to get the first of these out of the way before I address the cron job and memory limit.

I did see at http://cronjob.de that the cron job can be done online but I know it is easy to do (in German) but not for me.

Any ideas, help gratefully appreciated. Thanks

A couple of things…
First of all, I was able to use your first link (http://www.uladh.com/moodledata/2/IRELAND.jpg) to view the file, so I assume that you changed something, but your moodledata directory should not be open to browsers. This is a security issue! Your “moodle” directory should be in your “uladh.com” folder, and your “moodledata” directory should be in your “/” folder with the “uladh.com” folder. You should change that…
Read this: http://docs.moodle.org/en/Installing_Moodle#Creating_a_data_directory
Secondly, I am not sure what you mean when you say that you “cannot download” files. In what way do you mean this? By FTP? By right clicking???
As to the cronjob, you can set that up via dreamhost. I think that I had to do it via the command line, which made me nervous, but it seems to work. I found the info in the forums somewhere, but I don’t recall offhand… sorry.
If you need more help, just reply to this message and I will do my best to see what I can do.
Cheers

Thanks for that.
Both the Moodle and Moodledata folders are within the uladh.com folder. Can I just move the moodledata folder outside so it sits only within the / folder only and leave the Mysql panel alone.
Alternatively, should I try reinstalling the whole lot from scratch? I have installed it twice already and have had the same problem both times.
Essentially, all you did was as you already said: 1. put the Moodle folder/ installation into yoursite.com, build Moodledata with the Mysql panel and put Moodledata into the / folder?
I just want to get the files right before worrying about the cron job and the memory (these seem to be the three issues but if I get this problem sorted out, the rest should be easier). Thanks a lot. Hope at last:)

Oh forgot to say: I cannot right click to save. When I right clock, it poitns to the other location and then tells me the file cannot be found

Check out this Wiki Article on crontab. It’s very easy to set up here at dreamhost, and I’ve helped several other inexpirenced users do it, and I’m sure you can to. :slight_smile:

–Matttail
art.googlies.net - personal website

I reinstalled Moodle but am stuck at the same problem. I tried to do the access change htey mentioned but no luck. Any insights please?

Uploaded files give "File not found"
For example: Not Found: The requested URL /moodle/file.php/2/myfile.jpg was not found on this server.

Your web server needs to be configured to allow the part of the URL after a script name to be passed directly to the script. This is usually enabled in Apache 1, but is usually disabled by default in Apache 2. To turn it on, add this line to your httpd.conf, or to a .htaccess file in your local directory (see Installing Moodle for more details):

AcceptPathInfo on
Note, this will ONLY work for Apache versions 2.x.

If you are not using Apache 2 and you still have this problem (unlikely) then you can switch Moodle to use an alternative method. The disadvantages are a slight loss of performance for your users and you won’t be able to use relative links within HTML resources.

To use this alternative method, you should change the slasharguments variable in the Operating System section of Administration >> Configuration >> Variables. You should now be able to access your uploaded files.

Thaks for the crontab lead. But time to sleep now. However, having just installed version 1.6+, there sems to be a cronphp script thing in the moodle/admin folder to do it. Reinstalling, I didn’t get any cronjob warning. I can paste the script if anyone needs some light reading. Me, I need slep and to be able to access my files:)

I contacted Dreamhost support and thye suggested I try the following option. (how can I do this without messing up:
FAQ10 in part: If you are not using Apache 2 and you still have this problem (unlikely) then you can switch Moodle to use an alternative method. The disadvantages are a slight loss of performance for your users and you won’t be able to use relative links within HTML resources.

To use this alternative method, you should change the slasharguments variable in the Operating System section of Administration Configuration Variables. You should now be able to access your uploaded files.

Dreamhost answer: Your uladh.com domain is on an Apache 1.33 service, not an Apache 2 service, so per their notes the .htaccess solution would not work.

I would not be surprised if our default configuration for all versions disallowed this from a security standpoint: if this were enabled, someone could theoretically download any file on your website (including configuration files with database connection info, script files, etc.) by changing the URL to include the correct filename. And that’s the least of the potential vulnerabilities by allowing script parameters to be piped dynamically via a URL. Unless Moodle includes a specific safeguard so that only benign files (such as jpegs) can be downloaded in this manner, then this would present a question about security – I’m not familiar enough with Moodle’s actual code to tell whether or not this would be the case.

I would recommend using the alternate solution they offered via the Moodle admin panel.