Monitoring System for dreamhost

I have been working some time with this software and is GPL is very light and gives an idea of what services are up, what down and also keeps an statistics (not too complete but can be crunched by another tools)… well http://www.linvision.com/checkservice/

What about give it a try?

Best Regards

Thanks for the free software. :wink:

Was my advice or comment helpful? Then please click my referral link!

Thanks for the recommendation!

We do have an extensive monitoring system that we use ourselves internally and we do have statistics of service uptime but we took down the display of the statistics from our web panel because many customers deemed them to not be accurate enough because we do not track individual websites and our monitoring system does not take network outages into account either.

We will develop a system that addresses the concerns everyone had at some point but there are higher priorities at the moment.

• Dallas
  • DreamHost Head Honcho/Founder

[quote]dallas: We will develop a system that addresses the concerns everyone had at some point but there are higher priorities at the moment.

[/quote]

I actually thought that since the uptime/downtime monitoring stats showcased the strength (if it is) of DreamHost in providing reliable hosting and would logically be of high priority. No?

GungHOST.com - Everything is negotiable.

It’s not a low priority but it’s not one of the highest priorities at the moment. I doubt we’ll ever have something that keeps a 100% accurate uptime record of every individual website because something like that just isn’t cost effective to provide for everyone and there are third-party services that can do the job well.

Uptime statistics are a nice showcase of a service but actually keeping the service running smoothly in the first place is always going to take precedence for us.

The statistics we provided for many years were drawn directly from the service monitoring system we use internally to keep things running but as such it is relatively general and does not reflect downtime due to small server misconfigurations that may only affect a few people and it does not report most network outages since it runs on the same network as most of our servers. Those statistics were taken off of our web panel because a lot of people expected them to reflect everything and it caused confusion.

• Dallas

[quote]… and there are third-party services that can do the job well.

[/quote]

2 other hosts that I also use are offering third party monitoring (WebSitePulse) for each of their servers. Do you think that may actually be a cost-effective way for DreamHost as well?

And yes, I too agree that running a smooth service is of top priority. :slight_smile:

GungHOST.com - Everything is negotiable.

I took a quick look at websitepulse.com and their services don’t appear to actually scale up far enough to accomodate all of our servers. Also that service would not be much better than what we were previously doing other than tracking network outages as well.

I asked around a little bit and there is actually work being done on improved uptime statistics. It should be available soon and should be a much more accurate representation of service uptime.

• Dallas