Monitoring CPU/Memory Usage

I login through SSH to monitor CPU/memory usage on my PS using top. What I notice is that extant processes account for about 0.5% of my memory usage and even less of the CPU I use. Why might this be? Does anyone have a clue? I am trying to get to the bottom of the bloated memory issue once and for all… and I think others out there could probably use some help as well.

In the grand scheme of things, this is the major drawback of PS. It costs a lot of money compared to shared hosting but it is very difficult to sort out what is using up all your CPU and memory resources. In other words, we don’t really know what the hell we’re paying for! I’ve looked through process accounting and CPU/memory troubleshooting articles on the Dreamhost wiki until my eyes nearly fell out but I’ve had no luck with this issue. Not even after contacting support and going through a couple weeks of back-and-forth. So, I turn to you… denizens of the Dreamhost discussion forum :slight_smile: can you shed some light on the subject?