Thanks for answering my question. It took some time to figure out how to properly configure the Mongrel server and Rails application. This is what I had to do. The web panel is very useful, but there is no documentation on exactly what steps you have to take to make sure Mongel is running properly, or how to tell if it is working.
1) Create a directory "my_dir" in my web account. ( If the director. does not exist, then the mongrel-start, and stop apps don't appear in the directory.).
2) Copy the rails application code to the directory, with the config and public appearing in the "my_dir" directory.
3) Go to the web panel and use the form to specify the directory "http/my_dir" from the root of the user's account and the url for the application "www.mysite.com/my_rails_app" or leave blank for "www.mysite.com" to be proxied to the rails port. Although this is automatically done, there is not explanation that this is what is happening.
4) After the proxy is set up (and the information appears in the Monrel list, and the port number is listed), then ssh back into your site and you should find "mongrel-start, mongrel-stop, and mongrel-restart" applications copied into your "my_dir" directory.
5) execute mongrel-start from the command line
6) visit "www.mysite.com:300X" where 300X is your mongel port. This should connect directly to your rails application and launch it via mongrel.
7) Finally, test that "www.mysite.com/my_rails_app" properly connects and proxies to your rails application. (or "www.mysite.com" if you want the root to work).
I am not sure exactly where this information should go, but I had to go through a lot of trial and error until I finally got this to work. What is most tricky, is that if the mongrel is not proxied properly, and you go to your application, it will launch via FastCGI, and appear to be working, even though it is not running through mongrel. When I would connect to the mongrel port directly "www.mysite.com:300X", I would see a DIFFERENT site, and I knew that my application wasn't running properly.
In any case, I think this is working now, and if there is an appopriate place to this to be posted in the wiki, I would be happy to post it, or for someone else to add it to the right place...