Mod GZip

software development

I noticed that you’re using mod_gzip on the dreambook server, and I was just wondering if there are any plans on introducing this onto the main customer web servers?

Would it make sense to make this available? Surely it would save a lot on bandwidth. How do you find it working on the dreambook server? Any problems?

Anyone else using mod_gzip on their dedicated servers? I’d like to have anyone’s thoughts and input on this.

Thanks.

Wil

I don’t know how well it has worked for Dreambook, but I assume pretty well as we’re still using it. :>

As for using it with our hosting plans, I believe we might be able to set that up for you (I’m not 100% sure what the policy is, but I recall that we’ve done it for a few people before). If you’re interested, send support a message and ask if you can get that hooked up, and if so, they should be able to do it for you - free of charge (what a deal!). :>

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

yes - we do have mod_gzip working now although i’m not 100% sure of the specifics… you should be able to use it now though

Thanks, I will give it a shot over the next few days. Might be a good idea to set this server up with mod_gzip. I have found it to work very well in speeding up wwwthreads before now.

Wil