Missing ZipArchive Extension in the server

wordpress

Dear Dreamhost Support,

Can you Install that please??? I can’t install and run “Duplicator” WP plugin since dreamhost server dont have ZipArchive Installed in their server. This is VERY IMPORTANT for me, I’ve been hacked a lot of times and this backup plugin can help me save time backing up files. And pls don’t suggest backupbuddy or backupcreator, I don’t want to spend a dime for it.

http://awesomescreenshot.com/0e8hh5431
[color=#FF0000]“The ZipArchive extension for PHP is required for compression. Please contact your hosting provider if you’re on a hosted server. For additional information see our online documentation.”[/color]

Can you confirm if you can enable or install this extension?? or how can I enable it myself??

In lieu of that plugin, how about http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/backupwordpress/

Works fine on DreamHost, and saves your backups in wp-content/backups (which is a preferred location to store anything).

I’m sorry to hear you’ve been hacked multiple times.

Thanks man. I’ll take a look at it. Greatly appreciate your response. however, question with “backupwordpress” plugin. Does it backup the whole files, DB,Images,Contents,Plugins? or just db only?

ok. I bought backupcreator, and clearly it work for others but not for me. Or shall I say, all of those who’re in dreamhost.

Really? You guys(Dreamhost Team) don’t add this ZipArchive app?? If not, then I think I have to wait out til my subscription here will expire then move to other that support ZipArchive or have ZipArchive. I can backup my WP site manually but its such a hassle. Its not the only hat I wear throughout the day.

The zip extension is installed and enabled by default under PHP 5.3. If you switch your domain to PHP 5.3, it will become available.

This is SO typical of Dreamhost, you have a problem and rather than tell you how to fix it they tell you to use something else that does not work so well.

Now I have PHP 5.3 and I tried 5.4 but still Duplicator reports

"The ZipArchive extension for PHP is required for compression. Please contact your hosting provider if you’re on a hosted server. For additional information see our online documentation. "

I moved 13 domains to Dreamhost with this package, but two would not migrate, 500 errors on Restore

I tried Backup Buddy, same issue

Now I want to create a dev version of a site and neither backup or restore will work

I have spent a month messing around with PHP memory and other settings

a dozen support tickets and still I have to waste my sunday trying to get something that works on Hostgator and Hostmonster to work with Dreamhost.

So what do you suggest?

I hate to put it this way but … “It worked for me.”

I don’t tell anyone to try something I haven’t personally checked, when it comes to WP. What’s your domain? Maybe you have a custom PHP instance that’s overriding ours, but I do know that if you’re getting that ZipArchive error, then something’s busted on your PHP. Maybe we need to reinstall it for your server, or maybe it’s a quick change, but I can’t tell without looking.

I had the same error trying to use Wordpress’s Duplicator plugin. I upgraded my DH domain’s PHP to 5.3, and the error went away. Easy peasy.