Mismatched certificate & email

so, i’ve read the long list of complaints & workarounds & more-than-a-year-old requests for a legit fix for the mismatched certificate email issue…and i’m not about kludge my hosts file to work around it. the problem is alleged to be difficult to address (“the certificate would have to be updated every time a new domain is added”). but if that is true, why is DH the first and only provider i have used who has this problem? none of the other shared hosting providers i have used in the past, and none of the others i am currently using, have this problem. i infer that DH is doing something that is both nonstandard and, well, simply wrong. what is everybody else doing correctly that DH is not - and why is this acceptable (or, apparently, tolerable)?

tmike
tmike at tmike your dot pants com
(to reply by email, drop your pants)

Using the wildcard really screws things up. It’d be nice if Dreamhost would just take the time to generate a mail certificate for each mailserver. I’m on Spunky, and I wouldn’t mind having to poll “spunky.mail.dreamhost.com” to get and send mail securely.

I believe that the only other solution would be to create a unique IP address and certificate for each domain served by the mailserver, but that’s an unrealistic expectation.

-Scott

I think that really is the best way to approach the problem myself, given DreamHost’s set-up.

I would also be easy to do, and give them something “new” to announce as a “feature” in the newsletter. :wink:

Sure, there would be some sqwaking that users would have to reconfigure their email clients to use it, but little progress comes with absolutely no pain.

–rlparker

so what, exactly, do resellers say to customers about this when presented with the simple fact that this is not a problem with any other vendor? do you simply say “everybody else’s setup is wrong…trust me that this is doing something that is important and makes a real difference in the world. sorry that you can’t just send an email and walk away from your computer, as you could with services from any other vendor, for fear of this message popping up and blocking your emails - possibly for hours - asking you the same question it asked you yesterday about whether this is OK or not”? I mean come on… my clients might not understand the actual reason for it, but they DO understand that at least once a day they are going to be subjected to a reminder that i’m doing something “wrong”.

tmike
tmike at tmike your dot pants com
(to reply by email, drop your pants)

I suspect there as many different answers to that question as there are resellers. :wink:

I think you might be “preaching to the choir” here, as I think most of us agree that this should be changed.

–rlparker