Mirroring before DNS switch

I thought this would be simple but I am having trouble.

I registered with Dreamhost, logged into my FTP (barker), and uploaded a bunch of files into the directory “mywebsite.net” that was there by default. I then set up up the mirror by adding a subdomain in the panel and choosing “mywebsite.dreamhosters.com” to mirror mywebsite.net.

I waited twelve hours, and all I get at mywebsite.dreamhosters.com is “address not found.” I tried switching my computer to use ns1.dreamhost.com as the DNS server. Still no luck.

So I feel that I have exhausted http://wiki.dreamhost.com/DNS_-_Viewing_site_before_DNS_change. What am I doing wrong?

Propagation would likely have taken place by now. Can you supply us with the relevant URLs?

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

Support has just pointed out that the dreamhosters.com subdomain ought to be fully hosted and then mywebsite.net ought to be a mirror of that. Oops.

I disagree with this approach. First, the wiki says you need to create your domain first, then use dreamhosters as a mirror. Second, the wiki approach is the “right” way to do it, since you need to configure your site to work under your domain, and not as a dreamhosters domain.

What’s your domain?

-Scott