Mirror or redirect, secret domains

I have a url, call it www.mylastname.org
I also have it fully hosted at dreamhost.
I made a new website with wordpress, I put it in the subdomain
www.firstname.mylastname.org

then I redirected www.mylastname.org to www.firstname.mylastname.org so
it works as before.

Now I have a bunch of email addresses, like fred@mylastname.org, mary@mylastname.org, etcc…

Now I realize that my site should be secret and available to only those who know the address, and disable it from search bots. So I got a new web address, call it
www.mysecretaddress.org

I want to give out that web address and have people go to where it currently is located, which is now www.firstname.mylastname.org

I want to continue to use my firstname@mylastname.org email addresses. I fear that some will try by sleuth to go to www.mylastname.org, and see what happens. Now they will see our secret website. I want that link to eventually disappear, and they get nothing.

So how should I organize it??

First off, not all web crawlers respect robots.txt. Secondly, no website can actually be a secret. You may not tell people about it, but it is possible for someone to just stumble across it. With that being said, the best thing to do is just not have any content viewable to people who are not logged in. This should be very simple to do with wordpress. Just because someone sees a website, that does not mean you cannot restrict who has permission to view the content of it.

more than one way to skin the cat, and the answer depends on what the goal is.

If you’re using a CMS (wordpress, concrete5, etc) the best way is likely to use your CMS’s authentication functions. For example, tou might have a wordpress page that shows content A to users not logged in, a member logs in, and suddenly they get content B. You can’t do that kind of thing real well with .htaccess

personally I only use .htaccess access control for test sites, dev sites, etc. It’s effective it keeps out the search bots and curious people away until you’re ready to go public.

[quote=“oakman, post:1, topic:62178”]I fear that some will try by sleuth to go to www.mylastname.org, and see what happens. Now they will see our secret website. I want that link to eventually disappear, and they get nothing.

So how should I organize it??
[/quote]

Remove the initial redirect that you set up and redirect your secret address instead.