I need to migrate a Wordpress (WP) site from a different host to Dreamhost (DH), and have the backup file form there.
I tried to read as much as I could at DH, including http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Move_WordPress_to_DreamHost, and also got a couple of tech support ticket answers (more confusing than helpful), so thought I'd try this forum instead.
My previous misadventures have left me with:
- my backup file from my old host;
- a one-click install of WP in my main ('fully hosted') domain at DH;
- a subdomain that 'mirrors' the old URL (this was created per previous instructions, but seems useless.)
I am able to FTP into my main domain at DH, and can see the 1-click WP files installed there. I can also see the subdirectory for the subdomain.
However, the DNS still points to my old site, which I want to keep working until the new site at DH is working. My questions are:
1) how can I access my new site at DH? What would be the URL? Or is this even possible?
2) what should I do with the old backup file? It's one big tar file that unzips a bunch of subdirectories. Should I just unzip it in the root directory of my DH 'fully hosted' domain? Or the subdomain? Will this include the database files?
3) I have no qualms about deleting my DH files and starting completely over. Have done that a couple of times already as it is...
TIA for any help!