Migrating to an advanced One-click install of WP

wordpress

I’m migrating a wordpress blog to DH from ixwebhosting and would like to partake of the advanced one-click install option of upgrading. I seem to be having some trouble copying it over. Anyone know what DH uses to identify a one-click install of WP?

I tried installing the advanced mode one-click install, then overwriting the install with my previous blog, importing the MySQL database into the database the one-click install created, tweaking the wp-config.php settings from the old blog settings to the new database location.

The blog works fine, but DH panel throws back a "WARNING! In easy mode you cannot install your own plugins or themes (though there are a number included). To have full customizability, pick advanced mode below."
Even though I installed it using Advanced mode.

Thoughts?

Many thanks,
Rich

If I was porting an installation from one hosting company to another, I would NOT use a one-click install.

Use phpMyAdmin at ixwebhosting to export your mySQL data to a file, and save it on your desktop. Then save your files from ixwebhosting. If your installation is in /home/username/public_html, simply SSH in (which normally will put you in /home/username. Then execute
tar zcvf myapp.tgz public_html
(The “myapp.tgz” is the name you’re giving your tarball. The “public_html” is the root of the directory tree you want to grab.) Then
cp myapp.tgz public_html
and download http://yourdomain.com/myapp.tgz to your desktop.

Upload myapp.tgz (binary mode) to your account here, to your root directory. If your app is supposed to sit in /home/username/frenchfries, SSH in to your home directory and execute
tar zxvf myapp.tgz
and it will create a directory named public_html.

Execute a
ls -al
and you will see what your files’s ownership should be. If your username is fullyric, the files will be owned by fullyric (user) and somexyz (group). You need to execute the command
chown -R fullyric.somexyz public_html
in order to change the ownership of every file in the public_html tree. The permissions of the files will already be correct - that’s the beauty of tarballs, that they save and restore permissions and directory trees.

You either need go to “manage domains” in the control panel and set things so that you’re serving files out of public_html OR you need to rename the old directory you were serving files out of, and rename public_html to that name.
mv yourdomain.com yourdomain.old
mv public_html yourdomain.com

Create a mySQL database for your app in the Dreamhost control panel. Go into myPhpAdmin, and dump the data in your mySQL file into your new mySQL database.

OK, you’re almost done. There will be a configuration file somewhere in your application. Often it has a name like config.php. If you look at the index.php file, you’ll probably find that filename near the top.

You’ll need to edit things to match your new web home.

1. You’ll probably need to edit the “path” to your app’s directory.
  2. You’ll probably need to edit the name of your mySQL database, the name of your mySQL user, the password of your mySQL user, and the name of your SQL server. (“Localhost” is used with most hosting companies, but not with DreamHost.)

Then when you’re done, you may want to upgrade to a new version of WP. I’d suggest making that two steps, though, rather than trying to combining it into one.

If you’re comfortable with SSH and myPhpAdmin, this should take you maybe an hour, even if you don’t know anything about the WP architecture, and most of the time will be spent waiting for files to upload. If you’re not, it’ll take longer.

If you’re uncomfortable with SSH and myPhpAdmin, you should be able to find someone willing to do this for you. Maybe you’ve got a friend, and your refrigerator contains more beer than it ought to? Or you can hire someone like me to do it for, oh, $50 or so.

Some will work cheaper than that, but you want to be careful who you get, because you’re trusting someone with your passwords. Changing the password on your control panel is pretty easy, but changing the password on your mySQL user is less so.

I really recommend, though, that you do it yourself. You’d be learning skills that will be highly useful to you in the future.

Good luck!

If your WP is customised you’d best update it manually.

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

deke,

this is a great layout of the method to migrate wordpress and I think it would even be good to put on the wiki.

Unfortunately that’s not what I was asking. As I noted, the blog is already working.

Does anyone have any idea how DH tags the one-click install?

My point wasn’t to try and figure out how to migrate it, but rather to migrate it into the “Advanced One-Click Install.” I’m trying to be strategically lazy as I’d rather have dreamhost do the upgrade then me do it, especially when it’s one of several blog install and other constantly updating packages that I’m using. So while I applaud the help, I’m still stuck with the same question.

I might add one other note, there’s an easier way to migrate files.
Use the following template to pull files over and mirror it to your new host.

wget -r -l 0 --waitretry=10 -tries=20 -N -nH --cut-dirs=1 -P/home/{dh_username}/{dh_domain_name} ftp://{oldhost_username}:{oldhost_password}@{oldhost_ftp_domain}/{old_host_directory}/*

For example
wget -r -l 0 --waitretry=10 -tries=20 -N -nH --cut-dirs=1 -P/home/fullyric/somexyzdomain.com \ ftp://someusername:somepassword@web72.ixwebhosting.com/somexyzdomain.com/*

This way you don’t have to deal bouncing the tarball.

Many thanks,
Rich

Rich,

I’m trying to do something similar.
I have Wordpress 2.0.2 on Dreamhost (that I installed myself a long time ago) and I’m trying to move it to the 1 click install.

So far, I’m testing moving from the real site: real.com to a test URL: test.real.com

I dump the DB w/ mysqldump to a .sql file.
Copy files (but not recursively) for wp-content/, wp-content/plugins/, wp-content/themes/*
and then import the DB.

My first attempt failed because I copied too much and over-wrote some of the 2.5.1 wordpress files with 2.0.2.
I’m trying again.