Migrating from Joomla 1.5 to 3 using SP Upgrade (Cyend)

apps

I’ve been preparing the decks to upgrade a couple of sites that use Joomla 1.5.26. Now at the point of doing to the database and content migration but it requires FTP to work.

Dreamhost moved to SFTP a while back and cut off the use of FTP (unless my memory is thinking of another provider). So how am I to get around this?

I am going to submit a support ticket as I assume there are a lot of people doing the same thing right now and hopefully they have a list of all the gotchas and solutions for the migration, be it with SP Cyend Upgrade or something else.

Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

We’ve written a page on the DreamHost Wiki explaining how best to perform this upgrade — you can view it at:

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Upgrading_Joomla

Hi Andrew,

I went down the road of JUpgrade a while ago (over a year ago) and decided to go with SP Upgrade. Reasons are foggy now. So I see your migration path is designed to take you to 2.5.x

I was hoping to go to 3.x in one pass. This is one of the attractions of SP Upgrade. Without thinking through it in detail at this point, it appears by inference of your wiki that JUpgrade works nicely with DH’s server config and I presume SP Upgrade probably doesn’t, particularly as it needs vanilla FTP to work in order to the shape shifting from 1.5.x to 3.x

Is the move from 2.5.x to 3. relatively trivial and is there a DH wiki on this.

Thanks for your help. Doing database migrations and endless CSS hacking and tweaking on templates is not my idea of fun.

Update to this for thread for those reading this in the future.

For the JUpgrade to work, I turned on the mootools extension.

In the previous post, I was incorrect about FTP being disabled on DH. You can go back to FTP if necessary but I would only do it for the installation using SP Upgrade (if you go that route) and then turn it back to use SSH, SCP and SFTP.

JUpgrade did not complete as far as what the broswer message was stating. It apparently hung on transferring the images and web data. I let it run overnight but it still wasn’t giving me the “all is complete” sign. However, the site seems operational and I believe everything is there.

My understanding is that the upgrade from Joomla! 2.5 to later versions (including 3.x) is supposed to be pretty straightforward. The Joomla! developers consider the complexity of the 1.x to 2.x upgrade a mistake, and don’t intend to repeat it.

I could never get JUpgrade to work for me, even with mootools enabled. I ended up using SP Upgrade (I can’t remember what, but it migrated something JUpgrade didn’t), but I did it locally using xammp and then uploaded it (and my new database) to DH. I did this quite a while ago, so I don’t remember the details, but, if I recall, I had some problems with my site–a few broken menu and section links and an incorrect database ordering issue–after I migrated to 2.5. I don’t recommend you do it on a live site. It is easy to do future upgrades once you have migrated to 2.5.