Might have screwed up access to WordPress

So I recently bought a domain name and started my own blog (mostlychristian.net), but I couldn’t find themes I liked that made it look good enough, so I decided to go the wordpress.org route. I bought a dreamhost account and tried to install wordpress.org with it. I clicked on “custom installation” and followed some instructions I found on Youtube that told me to place it in mostlychristian.net/blog. I did so, but clicking there just shows my blog saying that page doesn’t exist. Furthermore, I got an email telling me I could log in to “cloverleaf” to work on Wordpress, but this link never works.

I’ve tried doing another installation at mostlychristian.net/blog2, but the results are the same.

I THINK it might work for me to install just at mostlychristian.net, but I’m guessing this will at least overwrite everything I have there, and at worst do that and not work anyway.

Obviously, I really want to keep that domain name, but I’m not sure what to do. Was I just screwed the moment I bought the domain before getting my dreamhost account, or is there a way to start working on a wordpress.org site with that domain name from here?

Thanks in advance!

your domain’s nameservers are pointing currently to wordpress.com

First backup your site on wordpress.com, google for instructions.

Your domain registrar appears to be wild west domains… I’m not familiar with them, but if you log in there, you should be able to change the domains nameservers to ns1.dreamhost.com, ns2.dreamhost.com, ns3.dreamhost.com

This will redirect where your domain’s DNS to reside. Since you’ve installed a site on the url already at dreamhost you will begin to see that site soon. Just wait it could take up to 72 hours or 3 days but it will probably happen in less than 24.

Now that you’ve switched your domain to dreamhost, you can restore that backup you made.

WildWest Domains means you bought the domain from WordPress.com probably :slight_smile: You can change that on WordPress.com directly.

Thanks for your help! I’ve made some headway.

New problem: I’ve tried to install wordpress.org directly to the mostlychristian.net domain. It won’t work, and I got this email explaining:

"We were unable to set up wordpress as requested at:
http://www.mostlychristian.net/

"The problem was directory /home/blamil7/mostlychristian.net is not empty! Please re-install, specifying an empty (or new) directory.

“Please correct this and go to our web panel and re-submit your
wordpress installation request.”

So it seems my site I already set up on wordpress.com is in the way. I went to that dashboard and looked at deleting it, but it says it can’t delete my site because it’s how I get to my domain management options.

I would very much like to have people just go to mostlychristian.net and not .net/blog or anything in order to get to my site. Any pointers from here?

No it’s not the wordpress.com site that’s in the way. It might even be the folder your first install is in that’s making the root not empty.

ftp in and remove…
[hr]
There are actually a number of ways to get the /blog out of the url. http://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress

mostlychristian.net has two blog folders (blog and blog2), and favicons.

If you go to https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tree=goodies.installer& and click on “Managed installed applications” you’ll see WP installed twice. You can delete both of those and you SHOULD be able to install in the root of your site. If not, I can delete those favicons for you, but they shouldn’t matter.

I figured it out. I was unable to delete the /blog and /blog2 folders because I had some .gif files in the way. I cleaned it all out, and managed to get wordpress.org to show up where I wanted it.

Thank you both for your help!