Michael confirms promo codes with any payment type

For months now I’ve been watching on these forums and heard people say repeatedly that promo codes only work with credit cards. Today, Michael, DH Honcho (one of at least two) confirmed that promo codes are available with ANY payment type.

This means that you don’t HAVE to use a credit card to get the discount.

Hope this gets you to sign up soon as these discounts are absolutely insane.

Link to conversation:
http://discussion.dreamhost.com/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=curious&Number=62306&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=14&part=1#Post63090

Wholly

I would be one of these people. If this is not a recent change, I apologize for helping to spread a mis-truth. :blush:

As I stated in the thread you linked; I originally signed-up using a promo-code and payed with PayPal, but sometime last year I started to see reports, both here in the forums and via email, that the promo-code option was no longer available for those paying with PayPal. It is good to confirm that this is not the case and promo-codes are valid for all payment types.

This will be very good news for those that aren’t able to provide a faxed card rubbing or don’t have access to a credit-card.

Edit: It should be noted that the 97 day money back guarantee does only apply to credit card purchases (and is being considered for Google checkout), as confirmed by this page on the DreamHost site.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

Maybe they’ve changed the system. It is good for all of us :stuck_out_tongue:

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97MONEY[/color].

Michael from dreamhost said in the other discussion that it has always been this way and I think he would know :slight_smile:

Pay just [color=#CC0000]$22.40[/color] for 1 year Dreamhost hosting, use promo-code [color=#CC0000]MOJO97[/color]
Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] on all 1 and 2 year plans!! (Max saving on monthly plans too!!)

Those are good news. I never tried it, so when I asked here about that, and I were told that the coupon option would disappear when you selected Paypal, well, I believed it.

Glad to see that cleared out :slight_smile:

DreamHost $97 discount code: 97promo «« Check other codes on DreamHost97.com
:slight_smile: All money from 90promo was given to Santa’s Helpers Charity :slight_smile:

Maybe Michael should actually run through the signup process. :smiley:

I’m not sure how anyone could be confused about needing to pay with a credit card when using a promo code.

Page 2 of Signup process

Web Hosting Reviews | Hot Product Directory

Thanks for posting that! I knew I had seen that somewhere before, I just couldn’t remember when/where. :open_mouth:
–rlparker

Thanks for that Shonky. Hmmm… I think I withdraw my apology :stuck_out_tongue:

A quote from Michael in the other thread;

[color=#0000CC]“All signups have always been allowed to use promo codes. If someone has a reproducible case where it is not working they should submit a support ticket.”[/color]

Given the screen shot posted by Shonky, a ‘reproducible case’ is not going to be hard to come by. :slight_smile:

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

Has only ONE person reported it to DH support so Michael can get it fixed?

Wholly

I’ve put in a support request marked to Michael’s attention.

Web Hosting Reviews | Hot Product Directory

Thanks Shonky! (My fingers wanted to put an ‘l’ in your name. Embarrassing.)

Wholly

Yikes… it seems things weren’t as clear as I thought they would be now :stuck_out_tongue:

Those sentences give no margin for error…

“Because you’re using a promo code, you may only pay with a credit card”

Lets see what news we get…

DreamHost $97 discount code: 97promo «« Check other codes on DreamHost97.com
:slight_smile: All money from 90promo was given to Santa’s Helpers Charity :slight_smile:

So, to summarize the list of “unclear” things in the marketing/signup home pages:

You might have to fax rub, but you won’t be warned in advance.
Promo codes don’t work with payments other than credit cards, although they “should”.
The 97-day refund option may or not be available for payments other than credit cards.
Miva is advertised for Level 4 accounts, but isn’t available, and you won’t find out until after you sign up.

Anything else?

They hired more support help.
Tip me (and DreamHost gets 5%+$0.30) Cut the code: [color=#00CC00]9999[/color]=$99.99 Off

The 97 day money back guarantee is only available with credit cards currently and that is clearly stated. We will be extending it to Google Payments in the near future. Miva is still available, just send in a support ticket and someone will set it up for you. Most new customers don’t have to fax anything in. It is not an error that people are not warned in advance. Anonymous sure is annoying.

Someone did turn off non-credit card payments with promo codes due to people trying to cheat and resignup with promo codes for a second year. We have another system for preventing that now, so you can now signup with any pay method again as of today.

Sure fooled this guy about Miva. Maybe the panel should say what you just said.

People being confused or coming here to blow steam, when it could be avoided, sure is annoying too.

The Miva thing smacks of false advertising. There may be a perfectly logical explanation, but it sure is annoying that I haven’t seen it.

Tip me (and DreamHost gets 5%+$0.30) Cut the code: [color=#00CC00]9999[/color]=$99.99 Off

How is it false advertising to advertise a service that you actually provide? Making completely unfounded statements is what I mean by annoying. We have a contract with miva and will offer it until our contract expires.

OK. It’s a contract thing. Yeah, I think I get it now. :blush: You still offer Miva. :stuck_out_tongue: Even for new customers. :wink: Must’ve been my mistake. :s I know you’re a smart guy and can see how it looks from the outside. :cool: It’s just too bad you apparently have to do it that way :frowning: ; it causes annoyances.

It’s best not to piss off the king. (grin)

Wholly

I know. Hey, why’s my server so slow, and where’d all my files go?

I thought it must be something along those lines. It never ceases to amaze me the lengths some people will go to “beat the system”.

Excellent, thanks for taking the time to look at this issue Michael, your effort is much appreciated. :slight_smile:

Mark