Messed up the functions.php file and can't get back into it to fix it

wordpress

I edited the functions.php file in the Wordpress Bouquet Theme for my blog and got the following error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected end of file, expecting variable (T_VARIABLE) or ${ (T_DOLLAR_OPEN_CURLY_BRACES) or {$

(T_CURLY_OPEN) in /home/priscilla55/blog/wp-content/themes/bouquet/functions.php on line 557

Now, no matter what I try to do with my blog page, I get that same error message. Using the “back” button on my browser hasn’t helped.

If I could get back into the editor, I could just delete the addition I made to the functions.php file and that would be the end of the problem.
Seems like the directory listed in the error message should be the way to get into the editor, but I don’t know how to use it. What goes in front of
"/home/priscilla55" …?

How I got into this mess:
I pasted the lines shown in the “Displaying the Full TinyMCE Editor” section from: http://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/display-the-full-tinymce-editor-in-wordpress/
into my functions.php file (as per the instructions given at that website). Must have done something wrong though.
Here are the lines I pasted into the php file. I pasted them near the end of the file where it seemed like other functions and such were already completed, ie the “}” bracket had ended their specification.

function enable_more_buttons($buttons) {

$buttons[] = ‘fontselect’;
$buttons[] = ‘fontsizeselect’;
$buttons[] = ‘styleselect’;
$buttons[] = ‘backcolor’;
$buttons[] = ‘newdocument’;
$buttons[] = ‘cut’;
$buttons[] = ‘copy’;
$buttons[] = ‘charmap’;
$buttons[] = ‘hr’;
$buttons[] = ‘visualaid’;

return $buttons;
}
add_filter(“mce_buttons_3”, "enable_more_buttons”);

Help!
Priscilla

Hi Priscilla.
You probably need to use some sort of FTP/sFTP client to get into your website files and edit your functions.php file directly rather than using a browser-based editor.

If you are on Windows, NotePad++ is free and easy: http://notepad-plus-plus.org/
DreamWeaver is another one, but cost some $$
Alternatively, if you use Firefox you can just get the add-on called FireFTP and use that to login and access your web-files.
I think there is a similar add-on for Chrome, but I have never used that.

Once you have an editor, post back here and someone can walk you through connecting. Once you are connected it is a snap to browse to your files and open them directly.

Thank you sierracircle!
I already have been using the Firefox FTP program and was able to create a new ftp account to access my blog.
Found the functions.php file and chopped out the offending lines I had added. VOILA!
The blog is running okay again.
Thanks for this solution, it was very clever. If my life had depended on it,
I would perhaps have come up with the idea in a few days or so,
probably while sleeping.

Priscilla

Glad you got in. I wanted to make a note here that I just now played around with a little plugin for Windows that adds SFTP connections into Windows browser:
http://www.swish-sftp.org/

I just tested it and it seems to work nicely. It adds a little icon for “swish” and then it shows all of your sFTP connections. If I used Windows I would probably use that as my connector

That looks cool. I’ll play around with it. Thanks!
Priscilla