Messed up my Posterous custom domain

I have a posterous blog that has its own custom domain, carlosfandango.net. which I bought at Dreamhost.

This has been working well for a few years, although it’s been getting annoyingly slow to post there via email.

Anyway, I may have messed things up by deciding I wanted email@carlosfandango.net. I set it up using Google Apps, and to verify it, I asked dreamhost to fully host carlosfandango.net so I could upload the verification file.

So all great, I have gmail-hosted email, but now www.carlosfandgo.net doesn’t work (whereas without www does).

I also (regrets) chose to add a WP installation to the carlosfandango.net root, which I have since deleted (I know, I know)

According to the Posterous pages, I have to delete all other A records from my DNS. I now see from my Dreamhost DNS record that there is an A record marked “SQL” in the “Non-editable DreamHost DNS records” section.

I’ve messed up and am out of my depth re this stuff. What I want is for www. and http://carlosfandango.net to both point to my posterous. Then I’ll never touch it again.

Would appreciate help!

Ugh - carlosfandango.net is now not resolving at all

Can anyone help? I have 7 years of blog history there :frowning:

The DNS record on dreamhost looks like this https://www.dropbox.com/s/45nrp57bplw4x1t/Screen%20Shot%202012-05-29%20at%2008.42.53.png

Your entry looks correct but when I try to query each nameserver at dreamhost I get weird results.
It looks like NS3 is returning the correct A record. It also looks like NS1 and NS2 are puking, they are not returning anything for one of my domains that hasn’t been edited recently. Looks more like a dreamhost problem at this point.

Open a ticket for support if you haven’t done so already.

C:\Users>nslookup carlosfandango.net ns3.dreamhost.com
Server:  ns3.dreamhost.com
Address:  66.33.216.216

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
Name:    carlosfandango.net
Address:  184.106.20.102

C:\Users>nslookup carlosfandango.net ns2.dreamhost.com
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  208.96.10.221