MediaWiki

apps

I have recently completed the upgrade of my Mediawiki installation …the email received at the conclusion of that process instructs me to run a couple of ‘shell commands’ to update the database. I can find my way into the shell (i think) but have no idea of where or how to run these commands. A search of the Wiki here only made the fog thicker… can anyone assist please??? I can follow simple instructions as long as you type s l o w l y :slight_smile:

Read this section slowly. :slight_smile: It says 1.9.0 but probably also applies to incremental updates above that. Somebody may update it eventually, or not.

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/MediaWiki#Upgrading_to_1.9.0

----------
[color=#00CC00]ANONYMOUS0 => Max Discount[/color], [color=#6600CC]ANONYMOUS2 => Max Discount less $1[/color] or Cut the code, [color=#CC0000]it’s their birthday:[/color] [color=#00CC00]9999 => $99.99 Off[/color]

Already found all that thanks… my problem is I don’t know where I am supposed to run these commands!!! There ia no ‘CLI’ for want of a better phrase, that I can see where I even enter the commands

[quote]I can find my way into the shell (i think)

[/quote]

If you could explain what you mean by that, we might find common ground for Q/A dialog. Otherwise, I can point you here, in case you haven’t seen it and its links:

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Shell

----------
[color=#00CC00]ANONYMOUS0 => Max Discount[/color], [color=#6600CC]ANONYMOUS2 => Max Discount less $1[/color] or Cut the code, [color=#CC0000]it’s their birthday:[/color] [color=#00CC00]9999 => $99.99 Off[/color]

Check you are running your wiki under PHP5 from the DreamHost control panel using
(Domains > Manage Domains > Edit) you are mostly likely using PHP5 anyway.

To run the update files.

You need to access your shell using PuTTY or similar SSH program.

Navigate to where you installed your wiki from the one-click page.

e.g.

cd wiki.example.com

Now type ls -lsa to see the files and towards the top is the file to edit called AdminSettings.sample (note the case is important).

To edit type:-

nano -w AdminSettings.sample

Use your cursor delete keys to replace the entries for your Mediawiki’s MySQL database:-

$wgDBadminuser = ‘wikiadmin’;
$wgDBadminpassword = ‘adminpass’;

e.g.

$wgDBadminuser = ‘sydney’;
$wgDBadminpassword = ‘secretpasswordhere’;

Just change the text and be careful not to delete the ’ characters.

Now press control-o (o the lowercase letter)
and enter the filename where prompted as AdminSettings.php

(You are creating a file called AdminSettings.php so check the case is the same)

Now press control-x (the lowercase x) to exit the editor.

That is the first part done.

Now to run the two scripts type

cd maintenance

Type ls -als to list the files.

Check you can see the file update.php to make sure you are in the right place.

You now need to run the update files but have to give the full path for PHP to run them.

So type in:-

/usr/local/php5/bin/php update.php

and press enter.

For the second file (may not be needed but can be run)

/usr/local/php5/bin/php refreshLinks.php

and press enter.

That is the update done. Now you can delete that AdminSettings.php file you created for extra security.

So type cd … to get back to the main folder. Type ls -lsa to check you are in the right place. You should see AdminSettings.php now.

Delete the file with rm AdminSettings.php

The original AdminSettings.sample remains for next time.

Exit the shell with exit and that is it done as per the wiki entry.

Norm

Opinions are my own views, not DreamHosts’.
I am NOT a DreamHost employee OK!! :@

You act on my advice at your own risk!

Norm137: Many thanks for the clear, precise guidance you have provided. It’s been invaluable. I had no idea from reading the DH email or wiki entries that I needed to add a programme to my system to achieve this!!! I assumed that I had accessed the ‘shell’ via the ControlPanel… how wrong I was!

The software is on my computer, accessing my server and I am able to run commands where needed now. The AdminSettings.php I had modified as necessary previously using DreamWeaver, so that part appears to be OK. By following your instructions, I have successfully run both scripts on both of my MediaWiki installations! Thank you!! This wee problem has caused me endless grief and hair-pulling over the last week or so…

You should make these instructions available to everyone via the DH wiki Norm137 -they are far easier to comprehend and implement than what is currently available! As I mentioned earlier, having read the stuff available, I still had no idea that I wasn’t accessing the ‘shell’ through the control panel! Everything I had read led me to believe I was.

Again thanks :slight_smile:

That is okay. I know how confusing some things can be if you are not quite up to speed with all the terminology.

I think probably the wiki is just about right otherwise you end up with pages and pages of text which can be confusing itself.

If you get stuck just ask here, there are plenty of people more than willing to help.

Norm

Opinions are my own views, not DreamHosts’.
I am NOT a DreamHost employee OK!! :@

You act on my advice at your own risk!